More than 2,000 Student Senate ballots cast on day one

The first day of Student Senate elections kicked off strong with more than 2,000 votes already cast, according to the Board of Elections and university officials.

Board of Elections Co-chair Omar Kurdi said the elections turnout has been good so far. As of 3:27 p.m. Tuesday, around 2,000 votes were cast and by 4 p.m. the same day that number had passed the 2,000 mark.

The ballot includes candidates for Student Senate, Student Trustee and the option to cast votes of “no confidence” in the Ohio University Board of Trustees and university administration.

“I was shocked earlier in the day when about 600 students have already voted,” said Emily Ginty, Phoenix vice presidential candidate. “To see that number jump up to 2,000 is great. I just want to keep encouraging students to vote.”

By the end of elections last year, 3,561 students voted. In 2013, 2,313 students voted, and in 2012, more than 2,000 students voted.

“I’m definitely impressed with that number,” said Hannah Clouser, SOS candidate for treasurer. 

She said the number of tickets and candidates has likely encouraged more students to vote.  

Other candidates also voiced their enthusiasm.

“We are so excited people are participating,” said Gabby Bacha, SOS presidential candidate and current South Green senator.

This is not the first year students have had the option to cast a vote of “no confidence” in top administrators. In 2007, 78 percent of students who voted said they had no confidence in President Roderick McDavis’ ability to lead the university.

Students have until Thursday at 7 a.m. to cast their vote. Election results are expected to be announced Thursday at 6 p.m. on the third floor of Baker.

@mayganbeeler