Mavis Staples

New Nelsonville Music Festival lineup announcement includes Mavis Staples, The Budos Band

Blues and gospel singer Mavis Staples and instrumental “afro-soul” band The Budos Band have been added to the Nelsonville Music Festival lineup in Monday’s fifth round of announcements.

The Nelsonville Music Festival will take place May 28 to May 31 at the Robbins Crossing at Hocking College.

Staples performed at the 2013 Nelsonville Music Festival, but due to the thunderstorms and wind, her set was cut short.

The announcement also included Brooklyn band Howard, which describes its sound as "folktronica," aka a mix of folk and electronic music.

Several other acts have been added, including Skeletonwitch guitarist Scott Hedrick and local artists Ethan Bartman and Chris Biester.

Columbus musician, improviser and sound artist Ryan Jewell has also been added to the lineup.

Parkersburg native Todd Burge is set to lead a songwriting workshop for kids during the festival. 

Four bands from Stuart’s Opera House After School Music Program, for students ages 13 to 18, will be part of the festival, after spending eight months in the program.

The acts added will join The Flaming Lips, Merle Haggard, St. Vincent, Trampled By Turtles and dozens more.

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu