Sophomore infielder Casie Hutchinson hits a ball during game two of a doubleheader against Central Michigan University at the Ohio University Women's Softball Complex, in Athens, Ohio, on Friday, April 3, 2015. The Ohio softball team lost to CMU 14-3.

Ohio’s not stressing over standings ahead of Dayton series

Ohio isn’t worried about its current standings and is looking to take its season one series at a time.

The Bobcats aren’t worried about their trajectory — or placement — in the Mid-American Conference.

Yes, they are just 11-22 this season, and they're in third place in the MAC East standings.

Anyone on the outside looking in would say the team needs to “hit the panic button,” but coach Jodi Hermanek and her squad aren’t quite at that point yet.

“We are right where we want to be,” Hermanek said. “Obviously, everyone wants to be number one, but we’re not, and that’s OK.

“That’s not a bad thing.”

If history is any indicator for Ohio, Hermanek is correct. They don’t need to worry.

Last season, the Bobcats trotted into the postseason as a five-seed and ended up hoisting up a MAC Tournament banner for the first time in program history.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="8e7915b6-e150-11e4-98b1-2b6163e509ca"}}

Now, as the conference’s No. 7 team, the Bobcats’ chances to become repeat champions are as a good as any outsider’s guess. As of Monday, the Bobcats are slotted behind Kent State and Miami in the MAC East.

“We’re right where we need to be, at this stage of the conference,” Hermanek said.

What Ohio is really focusing on, however, is Tuesday’s home doubleheader with Dayton.

The Bobcats (11-22, 4-4 MAC) will return home after being swept by the Golden Flashes the previous weekend and will look to find some continuity.

With numerous injuries plaguing their pitching rotation and some inconsistency on offense, the Bobcats’ championship aspirations are not in jeopardy — yet.

Junior Savannah Jo Dorsey, Ohio’s leading pitcher last season, has been combating a shoulder injury and has not been medically cleared for the season.

To handle the adversity, Hermanek has leaned on motivational videos to inspire her team.

“Well, first of all, with (retired NFL player) Ray Lewis, you can’t find one that isn’t amazing,” Hermanek said. “Sometimes we try to get a perspective of somebody else’s words, or somebody else’s experience that is adaptable to the things we emphasize constantly.”

With Dorsey out, senior Lauren McClary has led the Bobcats in strikeouts with 44, which was only good enough for a 2-10 win-loss record. Kaylin Clarke has also split time in the circle, appearing in every game thus far and garnering 38 strikeouts in 66 innings pitched.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="65cd26a4-df00-11e4-b67d-73975cab1aa7"}}

On offense, junior Sloan Walker has been one of the most consistent for the Bobcats. She’s earned a .324 batting average in 111 at-bats. Sophomore infielder Casie Hutchinson, who has earned the nickname “Clutchinson,” has registered 30 RBIs while redshirt senior Raven King leads the Bobcats with six home runs. 

Despite being in the top four for batting, the Bobcats ranked in the bottom half of the conference in strikeouts, at eighth.

“Granted, there’s a lot more going on,” Hermanek said. “We have to stay steady and we have to really be focus on our game, our uniform, what impacts us, what we can control.”

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu