Pat Kelly Facebook status

Pat Kelly seeks appeal, suspension of sentence

Former county sheriff is seeking an appeal after receiving 18 charges.

Former Athens County Sheriff Pat Kelly filed an appeal after being found guilty of corruption and theft.

Defense Attorney Scott P. Wood filed a notice of appeal with the 4th District Appeals Court on Thursday, as well as a motion to suspend the execution of Kelly’s sentence while the appeal is pending.

An Athens County Grand Jury indicted Kelly on 25 counts in January 2014, and his trial took place earlier this year, concluding in February.

As a result of the three-week long public corruption trial, Kelly was handed 18 charges, including 12 counts of theft in office, one charge of perjury, one charge of failing to keep a cashbook, three charges of theft and one charge of engaging in corrupt activity.

He was sentenced to seven years in prison on March 20 including three years for engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity, two years for perjury and two years for several counts of theft.

When issuing the sentence, Visiting Judge Patricia A. Cosgrove said that Kelly’s lack of remorse influenced her decision.

In a statement during his sentencing hearing, Kelly alleged, “The prosecution did not prove guilt; it just convinced the jury to believe I was guilty.”

Earlier this week, the county filed a lawsuit against Kelly seeking a $85,406.50 reimbursement for the salary and benefits he received while on suspension.

Kelly will be transported to the Lorain Correctional Institution in Grafton, Ohio, from Southeast Ohio Regional Jail.

nj342914@ohio.edu

@xx14noraxx