Leah Kistler, a junior studying theater performance, swings a bat at supposed intruder Travis Starr, also a junior studying theater performance during a rehearsal of the play "Claudia's Wedding," written by Jessica Walters, a junior studying playwriting at ARTS/West on April 7, 2015. 

Student organization ends the year with undergraduate playwrights festival, gets set for next year

SOUP, the Student Organization of Undergraduate Playwrights, is producing its undergraduate playwrights festival and ready for next year

The final serving of SOUP for this academic year is ready.

SOUP, or the Student Organization of Undergraduate Playwrights, is producing its UP Show, also called the undergraduate playwrights festival, Saturday and Sunday at ARTS/ West, 132 W. State St.

“Every spring, we have graduating seniors and people who work all year on their writing, and (the UP Show) is one surefire way to get our best work out to the public,” said Erin Baker, president of SOUP. “It’s the culmination of our year or years here.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="5a1f22da-c835-11e4-9f8e-e755a3e74f3d"}}

The performance of the playwrights’ work has been split up between two days. No performance will be repeated. Unlike the previous SOUP shows, the UP Show will feature 10-minute plays in addition to one-acts and full-length readings.

“What’s nice about seeing the long plays, especially from the juniors and seniors, is to see their development in their craft … (and) their artistic voice,” said Erik Ramsey, head of the BFA playwriting program and SOUP’s adviser.

Baker, a senior studying playwriting, wrote The Healing Powers of a Buttinsky for her thesis. The story follows two young women who are both in a cancer treatment center. Elizabeth feels her life has been stolen, so the more outgoing Amy tries to convince her that life is still worth living.

“It just kind of popped into my head one day,” she said. “A lot of ideas come that way. They pop in my head but don’t have any staying power, but this one did. I wanted to see what I could write around (Amy).”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="390d250a-dd49-11e4-b494-9b433ea482c1"}}

Jessica Walters, a junior studying playwriting, took inspiration from her own experiences. Her play Claudia’s Wedding looks at the changing friendship between old high school friends when one of them is getting married.

Walters said her situation wasn’t as extreme as it is in the play but wanted to relate the themes of friendship, changing relationships and the pressure of being an adult.

As for the future of SOUP, it looks fuller. After a last-minute cancelation of the “Killer SOUP” show in March, SOUP has officially been put on the production schedule in the theater department for next year.

The problems, Ramsey said, were due to a communication error between SOUP and the administration having two calendars, which he added need to be “cross-checked.” Ramsey said three shows are scheduled with the idea that more will be done in other venues like ARTS/ West.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2e685ca0-d27c-11e4-8b24-87b7c87ebe57"}}

“I’m really happy about ARTS/ West and working in a venue that isn’t inside the theater arts colony … (and the playwrights) testing their work with audiences not familiar with them,” he said.

With SOUP on the official calendar, Baker is optimistic about shows being even better with help from designers and technicians.

“I think we really accomplished our goal. … I’m happy that I’m leaving SOUP in a better place than we started this year,” Baker said. “Everyone has worked super hard to present good shows and make sure we’re recognized as a reliable, responsible group.”

@buzzlightmeryl

mg986611@ohio.edu