Italy vs. Uruguay, 2014 FIFA World Cup. Arena das Dunas, Natal, Brazil.

The GoalPost: The kickoff

“Kick it off, throw it in,

Have a little scrimmage…”

The world’s most popular sport has been imported to Athens.

As soccer grows in relevance, The Post should provide coverage of the progression.

The GoalPost won’t be a blog established for supporters to ramble about their clubs, or topics completely foreign to Ohio University. Instead, it’ll be an opportunity to discuss content that typically would be overlooked.

Ohio’s women’s soccer team plays on the west side of town at Chessa Field. We want to take the coverage and bring the Bobcats to the center of Athens.

We believe the hunger for soccer news is there.

Check social media on a Saturday morning and tweets focusing on the English Premier League are bound to appear. If not, a jersey or two will at a “Fest” or house party that evening.

Soccer brings emotion—sometimes the best in an individual.

When Arsenal finally won an English league title after a 20-year lull, Nick Hornsby, author of the sport’s most famous novel, Fever Pitch, said it was an orgasm that took 20 years to surface. (Note: This isn’t the kind of story we’ll discuss, nor is Jimmy Fallon’s adaptation on the novel/film better than Collin Ferth’s!)

This is a blog dedicated to bring content that won’t be found anywhere else.

Using a cliché, we want to push the envelope, offering new ideas.

We’ll have articles, podcasts and video (hopefully!), inviting our audience to see why soccer is the world’s beautiful game.

We want to make it fun to read about, think about and talk about. And we need your help!

Interaction and open discussion is a wonderful way to provide the best “stuff” for you the viewer.

Soccer is a form of art. The GoalPost wants to give it all the recognition it rightfully deserves.

It’s time for kickoff.