From left to right, juniors Jade Garcia, Susie Snedaker, and Maressa Bucci study at Donkey Coffee on April 26, 2015.

The ultimate finals package: where to study and where to find free resources

With finals week looming ahead, various resources and study locations are available for students to prepare.  

With finals week looming just around the corner, students will be scrambling to find a quiet place to fit in some last-minute cramming.

Instead of studying in the same familiar dorm room or apartment, studies suggest that changing things up and studying in a new location can actually improve the amount of information retained.

The Post talked to students about some of their favorite places to avoid distractions during finals week.

Alden Library

With seven floors available and extended hours for exam week, Alden Library is an obvious go-to spot for many students during exam week.  

“It’s quiet,” said Stephanie Warren, a senior studying communication and media. “I like … (Baker Center), but it’s still loud.”

Starting Monday, the second floor Learning Commons will be open 24 hours, with the other floors open until 2 a.m. or midnight, depending on the day.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="72868e52-e9d3-11e4-82ac-afc7970a2f49"}}

Schoonover Center for Communication

In the fairly new building, couches and tables, as well as a fireplace, are available in the first floor lobby, offering a few study spaces for students, even if their major doesn’t fall within the college.

While it might not be the quietest space, the cozy and sometimes sociable atmosphere can make up for the noise to students who don’t need a completely silent space to concentrate.

Academic and Research Center (ARC Building)

A space certainly familiar to engineering students, the Academic and Research Center, located on West Green, contains study spaces with ample room, a rare commodity students probably lack in their cluttered dorm rooms.

“In the study rooms, they have whiteboards and big tables,” said Danny Weiss, a freshman studying mechanical engineering. “I like to go in there with a group of people and study for whatever exam or whatever is going on.”

Having enough space is crucial to students who take comfort in spacing their materials out.

“It helps with the big board and TV,” Weiss said. “Being able to spread everything out.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a1394842-e7ae-11e4-be0e-df9b6f70ef6b"}}

Baker University Center

While most students see Baker Center as merely a quick way to avoid another hill, the building has five floors with various hallways tucked away from the hustle and noise of students attempting to get to their next class.

Located on the fourth floor, the hallway leading to the Baker Ballroom has chairs and couches lining the way, with a view of West Green just outside the window.

On the opposite side of West 82, the Bobcat Student Lounge has chairs and tables as well, but can be a little less quiet.

“It’s pretty quiet, but there’s a little bit of background noise,” said Gabe Gurwin, a junior studying journalism, who said he studies there when not studying in his apartment.

Outside

With the weather clearing up, and the cold weather — hopefully — gone for good, students can get creative and find their own place to study outside and get some fresh air at the same time.

Picnic benches are an obvious choice, but all it takes is a towel to make any place a study space.

Additionally, free resources and events from Alden Library will be offered for students hoping to de-stress.

Alden also offers free ear plugs at the second floor desk for students who want to “make their own quiet space.”

@seanthomaswolfe

sw399914@ohio.edu