Amplified Observations

With the weather warm, it’s time to bust out the summer music

Amplified Observations takes a look at some of the best music for the summer time and all the magic it holds.

With the arrival of April — basically the first month of the year when it’s almost guaranteed to be warm — daily daydreams about road tripping to the beach become less of a wintry fantasy and more of a feasible activity. And, although there are still a few weeks left this semester, it seems about time to break out the summer music.

Summer music? Yeah, you know, summer music. The hazy, happy music you put on when you’re in a lawn chair chilling on the back porch with some lemonade or about to catch some tasty waves off the coast. Summer is a pretty dope time to be alive and outside, and music only adds to the enjoyment and memories it holds. How could anyone have experienced a Fourth of July without hearing “Born In the USA,” “I Been Everywhere” or “Fortunate Son?”

And when you’re not celebrating Memorial Day or the Fourth, you can soak up the sun to a ton of great artists. Many rappers’ paradigms are based around a perpetual summer populated by women and weed, such as Chance the Rapper, Mac Miller, Kid Cudi, Curren$y, Childish Gambino and many others whose upbeat, mellow and sometimes somber songs act as the embodiment of good vibes.

However, if you prefer to defer catchy-but-distracting bars and boisterous 808 drums, then maybe some indie pop or indie rock tracks will allow you to sink into that lazy summer atmosphere. The band, Washed Out has created some of the most reverberated, nebulous and laidback music of the new century along with other “chillwave” artists like Toro Y Moi or Neon Indian, whose albums provide a relaxing, lush sonic intoxication.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d491ccc8-d345-11e4-8cc5-bbc2ec27805c"}}

Also, bands who combine indie rock with surf rock influences provide a hoppin’ beach-like experience with the only thing missing being a corndog. A rule of thumb is that if the band references or has a beach or ocean in its name, it’s probably a good choice. Just look at Beach Fossils, Beach House, Future Islands, Wavves, Best Coast or even The Beach Boys (they’re indie, right?).

But, if you want to light those Tiki Torches as the sun goes down to something you can jam along to with your family and neighbors, you have to go with some classic soul or funk. If someone has a summer get-together and they don’t have any Marvin Gaye, Sly and the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder or James Brown playing, is it even really a get-together? And is it really summer? If the funk or soul isn’t hotter than the temperature, chances are it isn’t.

However, no matter what music you listen to and no matter what’s going on in your life, make sure to kick back and enjoy yourself every now and then from June through August. Summer is one of the best times to live actively and take risks. So ask your crush to a picnic, or land a heelflip from the top of that church’s stairs. Watch some fireworks, or adventure through the woods and accidently get covered in ticks.

You never know how many summers you have left until the last song on your album plays.

Luke Furman is a freshman studying journalism. Email him at lf491413@ohio.edu or find him on Twitter @LukeFurmanOU.