The view of Athens from Bong Hill, a popular hangout spot that overlooks Athens. Include a hike to the hill on your to do list for freshman year.

Culture staff picks its favorite Athens spots

From coffee to dining halls to study spots, the culture staff picks its favorite places in Athens.

There are some things that are just unequivocally Athens. The historic bricks lining many pathways and streets are one. The nationally famous Halloween Block Party is another. Some are special to individuals, and many are loved by all. Figuring out what you love about Athens is one of the best parts about coming to Ohio University. While you sample everything this town has to offer, The Post’s culture staff has some suggestions of places you should check out during your time here:

Favorite coffee shop:

Meryl Gottlieb: Court Street Coffee, because it’s closer to campus than Donkey Coffee and Espresso and is a thousand times better than anything you will get at Front Room. Plus, the Americanos have saved my soul — and my deadlines — way too many times.

Elizabeth Backo: The Front Room, because it’s right in the middle of campus and throwback music always seems to be playing.

Rachel Hartwick: I love getting coffee and working in Café Bibliotech because printing is just a few steps away; they have healthy food, and they play the BEST music.

Sean Wolfe: The Front Room, because it’s close to all of my classes; there are open mic nights, and it’s right above the newsroom.

Anna Gibbs: The Front Room, because it’s convenient.

Marisa Fernandez: The Front Room, because I don’t have to spend real money. I can use Flex Points or Bobcat Cash.

Favorite pizza spot:

Meryl: Avalanche Pizza, because it’s just amazing and has the coolest topping combinations.

Elizabeth: GoodFella’s Pizza, because it is absolutely delicious and pretty cheap for a large slice.

Rachel: GoodFella’s, because it’s cheap, local and absolutely amazing.

Sean: Avalanche, because it uses almost entirely local ingredients, and there are just a crazy amount of combinations.

Anna: Plus 1 Pizza, because the sauce is simply amazing, and the delivery folks are very friendly.

Marisa: Avalanche, because they have awesome calzones.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b84ae662-d967-11e4-b159-83c64d877acc"}}

Favorite green:

Meryl: West Green, because the saying, “West is the best” is 100 percent accurate. It’s like the suburbs of the residential greens. It’s a little bit removed but very close to the main campus area.

Elizabeth: West Green, because everything is super close, including Uptown, and it is a lot easier to avoid both Morton and Jeff Hill.

Rachel: West Green, best green. I’ve had a love-hate relationship with it because it lacked a dining hall second semester, but the new one next semester will be great!

Sean: South Green, because, while it feels insanely far away from everything, it just has this awesome laid back vibe to it that I think is harder to find on the other greens.

Anna: West Green. Though it’s really busy, it’s close to everything.

Marisa: Everybody is biased to the green they lived on. I love West because no hills, and there’s always someone playing football or frisbee outside.

Favorite restaurant:

Meryl: Casa Nueva Restaurant and Cantina, because no meal will ever compare to its pork enchilada with barbecue salsa. Nom.

Elizabeth: Bagel Street Deli, because there are so many different choices.

Rachel: Athens has a lot of great local restaurants, but Chipotle is still the best.

Sean: Union Street Diner, because how can you beat 24/7 diner food?

Anna: Ginger Asian Kitchen. I love Chinese food, and it’s basically Chipotle with Chinese food.

Marisa: Sol Restaurant is exceptional. Best flan I have ever had.

Favorite dining hall:

Meryl: Shively, because Shively subs and ice cream. Also, it just always has a better selection, even if it gets pretty crowded.

Elizabeth: Nelson, because it is huge and has breakfast all the time.

Rachel: Shively, because they have the best crunchies to put on your salad.

Sean: Nelson, solely because of the cheesy potatoes.

Anna: Nelson, because even when it’s rush hour, it doesn’t feel crowded.

Marisa: Nelson, is sweet because I can have stir fry made in front of me.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="052c5eba-d946-11e4-8fff-8f1ee7b78ac2"}}

Favorite place to study:

Meryl: The lobby in the Schoonover Center for Communication, because the library is too much for me, and Schoonover has the atmosphere of a quiet working area mixed with a fun congregating space. Plus, those giant blue cocoon-like chairs are perfect for secret naps.

Elizabeth: Alden Library, because although the temperature can get a little wacky, there are rooms for complete silence, which are perfect when it comes to focusing.

Rachel: Café Bibliotech, for the same reasons that I love to get coffee there.

Sean: Somewhere deep in Alden Library, so I can avoid all noise and distractions for a few hours.

Anna: Honestly, my dorm room. I have everything at my fingertips, and I only have to walk two feet to my bed.

Marisa: In my dorm, because no one bothers me there.

Favorite late night craving spot:

Meryl: O’Betty’s Red Hot!, because you can literally get anything you want on a hotdog, and no hotdog will ever taste as good as an O’Betty’s dog.

Elizabeth: GoodFella’s, because pizza is perfect.

Rachel: GoodFella’s. Who doesn’t need pizza after a night out?

Sean: Wings Over Athens, because getting wings delivered right to you is one of the purest forms of happiness there is.

Anna: O’Betty’s Red Hot! Best. Hotdogs. Ever. … Just saying.

Marisa: O’Betty’s is a coveted place that has unexplainable cheese fries.

Favorite place on campus:

Meryl: The Post newsroom. On one hand, it’s because I’ve spent so much time there that it is Ohio University to me, and, on the other, because I can always count on seeing my best friends in this one space.

Elizabeth: The Front Room on Wednesday and Friday nights because there are open stages, and some really talented people play original pieces and awesome covers.

Rachel: The bike trail. I love running to the end by the river so I can sit on one of the benches and soak up the sun.

Sean: The Hocking River, because it looks beautiful with all of the nearby hills, and it’s a good spot to stargaze at night.

Anna: The Post newsroom. It’s a security blanket. With a constant change in dorm rooms and apartment buildings — not to mention the construction — it’s the one place I can count on being the same, and my best friends are always in there.

Marisa: The patio outside Baker Ballroom. It’s my secret place when I want to sit outside.

Athens happens. Enjoy picking your favorite spots during the next four years.