Emma Ockerman

From the Editor's Desk: As you grow at OU, stick with us at The Post

Meet The Post's new editor-in-chief, Emma Ockerman.

Athens is totally the kind of place you’re allowed to make a snap judgement on.

Important-looking brick pathways, buildings older than your family’s known history and rolling hills that turn Bobcats into athletic marvels are just a few of the reasons you’re here for orientation right now. This is a scene one can fall in love with quickly. This is the kind of place where you’re supposed to go to college.

Ohio University — not so much. Your first impression of this campus will not be similar to the one you have during your commencement ceremony. It certainly won’t be the best one. That impression will remind you of the drag of lugging books to 9 a.m. lectures through deep puddles and across icy pathways. It’ll be your first all-nighter (I don’t recommend ever starting that pattern) in Alden, three cups of black coffee in your empty stomach. It’ll be the first time you truly ever feel home sick and need an adult that wasn’t close enough for comfort.

But that impression will wane, and better ones will replace it. You’ll meet friends with interests you’ve never considered and fall in love with the things you never even thought you’d know. You’ll fall in love, period — whether that be romantically, with friends, with classes or with campus. You’ll find your niche and join a club. That could be student government, campus media like The Post or an intramural sport. In four years, you will blossom into the sort of person that knows better than to make snap judgements. You’ll call Ohio University home.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="8336bf2c-d3fa-11e4-b770-736c690bc800"}}

Through all that, The Post will be here. We’ll be documenting the memories in Athens that you’ll need help retelling: fests, the Athens Halloween Block Party and breaking news we’re not privileged to predict. The minute you have a question about the way things work at OU or Uptown, we’re hoping to answer it.

Granted, we’re not trying to hand-hold, or anything. I, and the rest of The Post, have faith in the Class of 2019.

Do us a little favor in return — have faith in OU. Your first semester won’t represent the next seven, but your first friend here might be your best one. Take chances, remember to call home and always read The Post.

See you around.

Emma Ockerman is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University and editor-in-chief of The Post. Are you an incoming freshman with a few questions on how to get started at OU? Email her at eo300813@ohio.edu