Tyler Pecka eyes up the puck during the Bobcats' first game against Pitt last year.

Hockey ready to make next step in 2015

Ohio’s strong, returning offensive core could lead team deep into postseason play

Five and a half months of work by Ohio evaporated suddenly when Minot State scored a deciding overtime goal in the American Collegiate Hockey Association national quarterfinals in March.

In the single elimination format of the association’s national tournament, a team’s season can end quickly. For seniors, it means an abrupt end to their careers. For returning players, it means the beginning of the next season.

“We did well,” said Ohio coach Sean Hogan. “I thought we had the capabilities of winning a national championship, and I think we will next year, too.”

When the Bobcats aim for their first national championship since 2004 next season, they’ll do so with a team that combines new and familiar faces.

Last year, Ohio was filled with defensive experience and leadership. Former captain Mike Kretz, along with former assistant captains Paul Sergi and Tyler Benson, completed their respected senior years and are no longer on the team.

To help minimize their defensive voids, the Bobcats have a pair of returning junior goaltenders, Ryan Heltion and Aaron Alkema. Heltion and Alkema posted a combined record of 21-7 last season and had goals against averages of 1.50 and 1.86, respectively.

On the offensive side, Ohio’s entire first line is returning. The trio, led by senior captain Michael Harris and joined by juniors Joey Breslin and Patrick Spellacy, will look to keep the Bobcats in national contention.

“It could be a really big year for those guys,” Hogan said.

Harris, Breslin and Spellacy were Ohio’s top-three scorers last season, logging a total of 50 goals and 100 points in 100 combined games.

Ohio’s accolades last season included a regular season title in the Central States Collegiate Hockey League and the No. 6 spot in the final American Collegiate Hockey Association rankings out of 55 teams.

Even though the Central States Collegiate Hockey League championship doesn’t impact national rankings, Hogan believes every title his team can strive for is important.

“We want to win everything we can win,” Hogan said, “But we don’t set those as stated goals.”

Hogan said he is excited for all the matchups on Ohio’s schedule next season, but also said the team’s trip to Arizona is one he’ll circle on his calendar. The Bobcats will play a Thursday night game against Arizona and a weekend series against Arizona State.

“I think it’ll be interesting when we play Arizona State,” Hogan said of the NCAA Division I Sun Devils, who were in the American Collegiate Hockey Association last season. “That’ll be exciting.”

@JordanHorrobin

jh950614@ohio.edu