Rebekah Barnes

Meet The Post's new editorial staff for 2015-16

The Post has new editors for the new school year.

Editor-in-Chief Emma Ockerman

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="84a9cfc4-d40f-11e4-8884-d3157034f1f9"}}

Ahoy, fresh Bobkittens. I’m Emma Ockerman, The Post’s editor-in-chief and (hopefully) a familiar face here on OU’s campus. I’m the lady to talk to if you’re looking to join our media operation or want a new ear to talk to about video games or music. I originate from Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan and, as a result, have an acute affinity for lakes and sailboats and am not too terribly partial to the maize and blue (for all you OSU fans throwing The Post away right now, rest easy). Before becoming editor-in-chief, I served as The Post’s local editor and Bedpost columnist. That means if you want advice on romance, love, local elections or cops and crime, I’d like to think I’ve got you covered. If you’re thinking now that I haven’t done enough to entice you, stop by Baker 325 to see how Reba, Sam, Will and I carry out The Post’s day-to-day operations. Or, at the very least, get involved somewhere on campus. Trust me, there’s somewhere at OU for everyone. If you’re having trouble finding it, shoot us editors an email.

Managing Editor Rebekah Barnes

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="5f89c182-0366-11e5-b541-57a6066ef79c"}}

Hello there, Bobcats! My name is Rebekah, but most people here at The Post call me Reba. I hail from Mason, Ohio (shout out to any of you Comets out there). I am the managing editor this year, meaning I help keep this ship moving and give you guys the latest news and interesting features for your reading pleasures. Between my time at class and The Post, you can catch me watching Netflix (Friends or random documentaries,of course), eating an O’Betty’s hot dog or singing very loudly through campus. I have previously worked on the LGBT and women’s issues beat for the culture staff as both a stringer and an assistant editor. I am all into that long-form, human-interest journalism. I have two pieces of advice for you Bobcats. The first: Keep your door open. Three of my four roommates I met within my first hours at OU just in the dorm, and four out of four in my first three weeks. And they are my best friends. Second: Get involved. My pick is get involved with The Post, but, of course I’m biased (but really, you should). You won’t regret being involved, that’s for damn sure. But whatever you do, enjoy Athens and enjoy being a Bobcat.

Digital Managing Editor Samuel Howard

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="c55bda74-a671-11e4-b5dc-93f052a1ec54"}}

Yo, my name is Sam Howard, and I will be the digital managing editor here at The Post for the 2015-16 campaign. My job is to oversee our web operations all day and all of the night, so (shameless plug) please kindly follow us on Twitter and Instagram, like us on Facebook and, finally, check out our Pinterest. Whew. Now that that quick advertisement is out of the way, maybe a couple sentences about myself?

I was born in the farmlands of Northwest Ohio, but my family roots are in Appalachian Ohio and Kentucky, so Athens has always been my home away from home. My favorite late-night food Uptown is Souvlaki’s, (greasy Greek food on West State Street), and I’m most likely to be found on any given night at the Smiling Skull Saloon hogging the jukebox or singing John Denver karaoke. I even wrote about the dive bar once, back when I was a staff writer at The Post.

Your time in Athens will go by fast, so A) Don’t be afraid to stick around for a fifth (or sixth) year. No shame in that, and B) Make sure you do as much as possible. Join clubs. Go on late-night hikes. Take classes you’re genuinely interested in, even if they don’t meet requirements. Road trip on spring and summer breaks. Actually go visit your professors during office hours.

College is awesome, I promise. You’ll have a blast. So go follow us on every social media platform, and then go have some fun.

Opinion Editor Will Gibbs

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d9f6e168-b7ce-11e4-b527-6fb6c1dcea25"}}

Hey, Bobkittens, I’m Will Gibbs and the opinion editor for The Post this year. My job revolves around the content on page two of the paper each day, which includes letters to the editor and columns. If you’re interested in working as a columnist for us, feel free to reach out.

I was born and raised in Las Vegas, Nevada, and, yes, it is as much fun as you imagine. To say that winters here kill my sun-warmed soul is a complete understatement.

I have a soft spot in my heart for potatoes in all forms and all things ice cream. If you’re looking for someone to talk to about the latest happenings in pop culture or have any questions about Athens and OU, I’m in our newsroom, Baker 325, more often than not.

This is my last year in Athens so I certainly will not hesitate to listen to your stories about your first year in our little slice of paradise here in Appalachia. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is not to be afraid. Most people don’t have life plans even in their senior year, speaking from personal experience here, so take time to enjoy Neverland while you can. The years go by fast, and, soon, you’ll miss them.