Palmer Fest partygoers Jeremiah May, left, and Simran Jetha, right, celebrate their beer-pong victory as their opponent bounces the ball back to them. The annual street festival took place on Palmer Street in Athens, Ohio, on Saturday, March 28, 2015. 

New academic year to include fests and block party

New and old festivals set to come to Athens along with annual block party.

Returning to Athens means football games, friends and festivals.

During the 2015-16 academic year, the annual Athens Halloween Block Party and many music festivals are set to take place, with music ranging from rap to country performed by local artists and those known nationwide.

Country Nights Lights

For the first time, Prime Social Group, a Columbus-based organization, is bringing a country music festival to Athens. Sam Hunt is set to headline the event, but the six other acts have not yet been announced.

It’s unlikely there will be any other major headliners, but there is a possibility of having a few local bands in the lineup, said Adam Lynn, a founder of Prime Social Group, in a previous Post report.

The festival is taking place Sept. 26 at The Venue, 8003 State Route 56.

The purpose of the fest is to create a family-friendly country event for Athens and the surrounding area to enjoy, said Dominic Petrozzi, founder of Number Fest, which is also put on by Prime Social Group, in a previous Post report.

“I really like country music,” said Rachel Bellew, a sophomore studying nursing. “I think people would not be as crazy there either.”

Tickets can be purchased at Ticketfly. Early bird tickets sold out in less than an hour, according to the Country Night Lights Twitter page, but tickets were still available as of press time.

Halloween Block Party

Once a year, Court Street transforms into a place for ghosts and goblins to enjoy an evening of colorful costumes and local music.

Though the date has not yet been set for the annual Athens Halloween Block Party, Brandon “DJ B-Funk” Thompson said, there are plans to replicate last year’s success with the lineup.

“I really thought the way we put everything together, I really thought it was one of the best Halloweens,” said Thompson, who has performed many times at the block party.

Last year, 10 local bands occupied the two main stages, and a Lokoween Stage provided a homebase for DJs. The parking lot of the Lokoween Stage was turned into a dance party last year with about 3,000 people in the lot.

Independent Fest

The first ever Indie Fest took place March 28 at Lake Snowden in Albany, Ohio with headliner Juicy J. According to previous Postarticles, the lineup was meant to draw attention to independent, local artists.  

Juicy J arrived just after 11 p.m. following more than a dozen artists from various places in Ohio, including Athens bands Mojoflo and Uptowne Buddha.

“It was a really good time, especially for it being their first year of the event,” said Sam Terkel, a guitarist in Uptowne Buddha. “I was really impressed with the way it was ran and all the things they had there.”

A lineup and date have not yet been announced, but, according to a previousPost report, there are plans for a second Indie Fest to take place in the fall.

Number Fest

With many new policies put in place, the 13th edition of Prime Social Group’s Number Fest took place April 14 at The Venue. Diplo, ScHoolboy Q, iLoveMakonnen and other artists performed, while beer cans and beach balls flew through the air and attendees danced in the muddy field.

Recently, Athens City Council discussed a potential end to the festival, according to previousPost reports.

“I would miss it, definitely. I feel like it’s a really OU thing,” said Rosie Oaks, a sophomore studying biology. “I think it’s unique because it’s in the middle of nowhere, and it’s mostly OU students as a community. … The festival scene would really be missing it for sure.”

A lineup and date have not yet been announced.

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu