Councilwoman Christine Fahl proposes a plan that would rezone an area on the east side of Athens into primarily single-family housing, as Clerk of Council Debbie Walker and City Council President Jim Sands listen on during  a city council meeting at the Athens City Building in January 2013. (Daniel Kubus | Staff Photographer)

Athens City Council appoints former president to Historic Preservation Commission

Jim Sands will be returning to public service on the Athens Historic Preservation Commission.

After about eight months out of public service, former Athens City Council President Jim Sands is getting involved in local government again – albeit in a slightly less visible role.

Sands will be serving on the Athens Historic Preservation Commission.

Athens City Council members enthusiastically appointed Sands to his new position at Monday night’s meeting by an unanimous vote.

“I think we all know Jim and he’s more than qualified for this position,” Councilman Jeff Risner, D-2nd Ward, said. “They’re very lucky to get him.”

After several months of absence from city council, Sands officially announced his resignation from his position in December, citing various medical concerns, including hospitalization in Columbus.

Sands served on council for 14 years before becoming council president in 2012.

“Jim … has many years of service to the city and is an Athens native,” said council President Chris Knisely, who took over for Sands at the beginning of this year. “He will be well suited for the position.”

The Historic Preservation Commission was established in 2012 and is responsible for keeping inventory of historic buildings in the city and ensuring that new buildings and renovations keep consistent with the historical legacy of the city.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="76193d8e-7f44-11e4-8a7d-9ba1d6dec664"}}

Athens is a certified local government for historic preservation.

Council also began making preparations for the annual Halloween Block Party and introduced several legislative items in anticipation of the event.

This year, the event will take place on the actual holiday, which falls on a Saturday.

“There are several ordinances here … and they all have to do with our Halloween event which is Saturday, Oct. 31, and the general ordinances that we pass regarding these large events,” Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, said.

Some of those “general ordinances,” which are passed every year before the event, allow for live music and food vendors along Court Street.

Councilman Steve Patterson, D-At Large, also announced at Monday night’s meeting that the council would begin considering a plan for the renovation of the Athens city pool.

The renovations were made possible due to a tax levy approved at last November’s elections, which has generated about $2.07 million for Athens Arts Parks and Recreation.

Council is looking at a potential $7.3 million project, Patterson said.

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu