Ohio coach Saul Phillips, yells during a mens basketball game on February 7, 2015, in the Convocation center in Athens, Ohio.

'The Post' sits down with Ohio University coach Saul Phillips to discuss the offseason

The Post caught up with Saul Phillips to see how the offseason has treated the Bobcats.

The Post had the opportunity to catch up with Ohio University men’s basketball head coach, Saul Phillips, Thursday to talk about the program.

Here are a few things Phillips briefed The Post upon:

Jaaron Simmons is a potential cornerstone for Ohio’s program

Phillips mentioned he was impressed with Simmons' unselfishness and “pass-first” mentality, something missing in last year’s team. The Bobcats averaged 11.4 assists per game last season — not much different than their opponents (11.9) — but multiple possessions became stale because of the lack of ball movement.

Simmons, a redshirt sophomore, joins Ohio after a year at the University of Houston. He competed in 32 games for the Cougars and looked sharp in an inter-team scrimmage.

“I think Jaaron Simmons is probably — I don’t think he’s probably — he’s a kid that will be a cornerstone of what we’re doing going forward,” Phillips said. “He’s been outstanding in practice, tough kid, good leader, pass-first point guard that gets people where they need to be.”

Despite some team spacing issues, Simmons showed patience and solid pacing in his play Thursday. Phillips is right: he should have a hand in Ohio’s rebuilding process.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="54328c0a-21f3-11e5-90e3-67799336838c"}}

Maurice Ndour has left his mark on the Bobcats

After signing a three-year deal with the Dallas Mavericks earlier in July, Ndour has inspired NBA-hopefuls who are playing on the Bobcats.

Initially planning on transferring from Ohio to increase his draft stock, Phillips swayed Ndour to stay and is now on the cusp of being the first Bobcat to play in the NBA since 2005.

“For all of them, they look at it and go ‘One of us can make it,’ ” Phillips said. “That’s a big thing and that will keep you motivated. In a broader sense, he just got along with everybody really well, so everybody is really happy for him."

To see someone you’ve that been around with every day get a chance to sign a three-year deal with the Dallas Mavericks, that’s pretty cool.”

Ndour was the Bobcats’ leading scorer this past season, averaging 16 points and eight rebounds per game, and made waves in the NBA summer league with his hustle, rim protection and mid-range offense.

Wadly Mompremier looks healthy

Jason Arkley of The Athens Messenger reported Mompremier was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease two summers ago when he joined the Bobcats and has never quite been the same player since his diagnosis. Thursday he looked healthy crashing the boards and showed good footwork facing up in the post.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="86c4c4f8-3175-11e5-88bd-df1a24836fe4"}}

“Wadly is a different human being. He literally, physically, feels so much better that 35 pounds and a little stamina will do that to you,” Phillips said. “It’s just a relief to see Wadly be able to look healthy for any amount of time.”

Mompremier has played sparingly in his previous two seasons at Ohio, starting five games last season and averaging only about eight minutes per outing — because of his health.

If his health continues to improve though, he should be a nice compliment to other big-man Antonio Campbell.

Khari Harley went home because of back issues

Harley, who’s freshman campaign was cut short because he suffered from Mononucleosis, went home to Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey to repair some back issues, per Phillips.

“He’s had a back issue and he’s rehabbing it back home. Khari’s still with us,” Phillips said. “He’s trying to get that back in as good of a shape as he can before he starts. He was here for the first session of summer; he left to go home for the second session so he could specifically get with one doctor that seemed to have a great deal of success with him before.”

Harley is a skilled guard-forward with solid length, but without him, Ohio has to handle another setback.

With Ryan Taylor recently leaving the program, the Bobcats have a void to fill if Harley isn’t healthy enough to play this winter.

Phillips still has Mike Laster and Kenny Kaminski — who will help carry the load —  but a healthy Harley would definitely help the rotation.

“It’s funny because we’re going to have a lot of youngsters out there, but at the same time, just because they’re new faces — Kenny and Jaaron have played some basketball,” Phillips said. “We still look young at times, but really an unselfish group. A group that passes the ball extremely well and play well off each other.”

@Lukeoroark

lr514812@ohio.edu