Luke Furman (Old)

Amplified Observations: Eastern influence plays large role in music of legendary rock bands

In this week’s column, Amplified Observations argues that the greatest classic rock bands to ever exist had at least a bit of influence from eastern music, religion and culture.

Along the lengthy and unpredictable history of rock ‘n’ roll and all the subgenres it subsequently sprouted, there have been many bands that delivered a straightforward, to-the-point message. Take, for example, the Bachman-Turner Overdrive song “Takin’ Care of Business,” aka every home and garden store’s favorite tune. It’s frank, nostalgic and popular with no underlying message.

And although Bachman-Turner Overdrive is good for what it is, could it have ever reached the heights of other classic rock acts if it had incorporated cryptic Eastern spirituality into its playing? Could it have ever been a Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Rolling Stones or Yes with its one-dimensional, domestic concepts?

The answer is no.

All of the greatest 20th century British and American rock bands borrowed from Eastern music and spirituality, not for profit, but to add a sense of majestic wisdom to their music, which allows it to stand the test of time among listeners.

It’s a bold statement that I’ve been mulling over during these long months off, but with evidence like The Beatles’ dulcimer-laden “Within You Without You,” The Rolling Stones’ “Paint It Black,” and an array of Led Zeppelin songs on Led Zeppelin IV (“Stairway to Heaven”) and Physical Graffiti  (“Kashmir”), it is undeniable that there was a trend of using sounds and lyrical philosophy from the East. Whether it started as a curiosity with its exotic instrumentation, a fascination with Zen concepts and morality or catalyzed as a protest-like reaction to the Vietnam War, we may never know. I wasn’t anywhere close to being born in ‘68 to talk to the cool guy that hangs out at the record store.

Other bands also contributed to the sonic movement around the same time including The Doors, who in 1967 released its eponymous debut album that contained the nightmarish raga rock song “The End.” And a few years later, Yes released its seminal 1971 prog-rock album Close To the Edge that’s lyrics are based on “Siddhartha,” a 1922 novel by Hermann Hesse that explores a man’s encounter with the Buddha and the many questions of existence.

Even in the 1980s, that influence continued when The Clash released “Rock the Casbah” and “Straight to Hell” on 1982’s Combat Rock. At one point, The Clash was dubbed “The Only Band That Mattered,” and it just so happened to have Eastern influence in its compositions.

With a bazaar full of evidence leading to this proposed discovery, it’s fascinating that some of history’s biggest rock acts all incorporated a blend of musical cultures, mostly from Asia and Asia Minor.

With that infused influence, listeners of these bands have the ability to perceive deeper, more spiritual perspectives not found in purely Western music, allowing Eastern-tinged collectives to leave a lasting impact on music as a whole. Sure, Eastern culture did not influence every top-tier rock band, but it did influence a great deal of them, many of whom are ranked among the best.

I mean, who wants to listen to the same 1970s party anthem over and over again and knowing there is no deeper content there?

If Bachman-Turner Overdrive had been aware of this at the peak of its fame, then it might have taken a long trip to India.

Luke Furman is a sophomore studying journalism. Do you think Eastern music influenced rock bands? Email him at lf491413@ohio.edu or tweet him @LukeFurmanOU