Chris Nash as John Hicks in Kampout.

Bigfoot film 'Kampout' to premiere at Movies 10 in Nelsonville

Filmed in Nelsonville over the summer, Kampout tells the story of Bigfoot going on a rampage in southeastern Ohio after its child was killed.

In Glenn Martin’s latest film, Bigfoot is on the loose.

The comedic thriller Kampout, which was filmed in Nelsonville over the summer, tells the story of the legendary, mythical creature’s rampage through the countryside of southeastern Ohio after its child was killed.

Kampout will premiere Wednesday at Movies 10, U.S. Route 33 in Nelsonville.

While the film’s central character is quite larger-than-life, one of Kampout’s stars believes its message isn’t so hard to grasp.

“It’s a statement on humanity. We always fear what we don’t understand. … Bigfoot may be just a figment of our imagination, but it does at least help me explore what fear is,” Chris Nash, who plays John Hicks, said. “A lot of people are afraid to explore ideas because they’re set in their ways. … Rather than humanity having to own and conquer everything, it may be just a better idea to just accept and let live.”

Nash, whose character ignites the plot, didn’t hesitate to state his belief of the unknown.

“I do believe in Bigfoot,” he said. “I like the thought of Bigfoot. … I like to believe there is something out there that is inhabiting the planet other than humans, dolphins and whales.”

As the film’s writer and director, Martin said the idea for the film stemmed from his own possible interaction with the creature. While playing a game of capture of the flag as a teenager, Martin remembered hearing noises in the woods all night and feeling like something was going to jump out and get him and his friends.

He said that a few days later Bigfoot sightings were reported.

For Martin, one of the highlights from the two-week shoot in Nelsonville was working with seasoned actors, including Clint Howard — Ron Howard’s brother who has had memorable roles in How the Grinch Stole Christmas and the Austin Powers movies — and Zach Galligan from the Gremlins films.

Nash starred in the 1985 film Mischief, which was filmed in Nelsonville and also stars Kelly Preston. Nash had not returned to Nelsonville since the filming of Mischief and said he was excited to go back.

“It was a great experience coming back and shooting it,” he said. “Everybody in that town is just so nice. It was great. … I loved coming back. … I got to see some of the people that were extras from Mischief.”

After the premiere Wednesday, Martin, Nash and a few other cast members will hold a meet-and-greet. Martin said he wanted to do so as a chance to “give back to the community,” remembering how excited everyone was after Mischief.

“People are still talking about it 30 years later,” Martin said. “It’s more about the people. I know what the feeling is when you meet a celebrity. It’s kind of neat, and I want to give everyone an opportunity.”

@buzzlightmeryl

mg986611@ohio.edu