Editorial: More Title IX awareness needed on OU’s campus

After interviewing about 20 students, one Post photographer found that almost no one knew what the landmark law did for the nation.

On Tuesday, we asked passersby about Title IX while compiling what we hoped would be Wednesday’s “Streetview” feature.

We didn’t realize that would be such a tough question. Out of the 20-or-so students our photographer interviewed, only one knew anything about the law.

In a time when women, on average, continue to make considerably lesser wages than men, we were discouraged to learn few of the people we asked know anything about the landmark legislation prohibiting sex-based discrimination in federally-funded educational programs. The 1972 law should be a reminder — to everyone, regardless of sex — that sex-based discrimination is hardly a thing of the distant past.

Title IX was an important step in the women’s rights movement and guaranteed female students equal access to athletics. Before the law was enacted, one in 27 female students were involved in athletics. In 2011, one in nearly three women participated in NCAA athletics. However, the law has not only helped women have a greater presence on sports teams.

Due to the establishment of the law, schools are under legal obligation to prevent and address any reports of sexual harassment. Several sexual assault survivors have sued using Title IX.

Because the law was such a milestone for the nation, it is disappointing that many on campus were unaware of it. For those who want to learn more about Title IX, you can visit the Department of Justice’s webpage dedicated to the law.

Hopefully the relatively small pool of students was just an anomaly and more than one in every 20 Bobcats know about the groundbreaking ruling, but if not, please get educated so you positively contribute to the work of feminists everywhere.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: Editor-in-Chief Emma Ockerman, Managing Editor Rebekah Barnes, Opinion Editor Will Gibbs and Digital Managing Editor Samuel Howard. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.