Wifi

Editorial: Now’s not the time to panic about OU’s Wi-Fi . . . really

It’s no secret that Ohio University’s Wi-Fi has had some troubles recently, but many students have overreacted about how much it affects their lives.

It’s now week two at Ohio University — otherwise known as day eight of life without reliable Wi-Fi on campus.

Things might seem post-apocalyptic, but we want to urge students that it isn’t time to panic. Worse things have happened. Really.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="9bd5578c-4f51-11e5-a9eb-736edb06b5da"}}

It’s disheartening to scan social media and see students dramatically lamenting their shrinking phone batteries or threatening to write complaints to the Ohio University Office of Information Technology.

Those students all quickly took to Twitter and Snapchat to use the data they complained about having to use in the first place.

We wish that frustration could be focused on more legitimate gripes. Students should put that same vigor and concern into issues pertaining to mounting student debt and the prevalence of sexual assault, for example.

Further, if you really need to hop on the Internet for classwork, consider going to Alden Library or one of the many computer labs on campus. Really, there are a lot of options only a few minutes’ walk away.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4d6b31fc-4c63-11e5-9deb-ab9831763b3e"}}

Students having problems with the Wi-Fi in turn causes OIT to have problems. The department is clearly working toward a solution, as they have been communicating regularly with students and faculty.

The problem arose because students brought thousands more tech devices this year than they did this same time last year.

Maybe put away the iPad and take notes using the old fashioned pencil and paper method.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: Editor-in-Chief Emma Ockerman, Managing Editor Rebekah Barnes, Opinion Editor Will Gibbs and Digital Managing Editor Samuel Howard. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.