A.J. Oullette runs from an Idaho defender at Peden Stadium. The Bobcats beat defeated the Vandals 36-24 last year.

Football notebook: Quick bits before Idaho

Here are a few things you should know as Ohio packs for Idaho.

With two days until the regular season kicks off, it’s time to loosely introduce you to Ohio's first opponents: the Idaho Vandals.

Sure, they struggled last year. In 2014, Ohio beat Idaho 36-24 on Sept. 20 in Peden Stadium. Idaho finished the season 1-10.

But that doesn’t mean Ohio expects to fly west to Moscow, Idaho for an easy win. Throughout preseason practice, it’s clear the Bobcats want to redeem last season’s disappointing conclusion, when the team went 6-6 and failed to make a bowl appearance for the first time in five years.

With that in mind, here are a couple interesting storylines to look into as the season rapidly approaches.

Smoke on the water

Idaho is experiencing wildfires which have led to closures and poor air quality. At one point last week, portions of Moscow were covered in a giant gray smoke cloud, forcing some cars to drive with their lights on during the day. According to AirNow, Tuesday’s air quality in Moscow is forecasted to be moderate.

That being said, it shouldn’t prevent too many issues for both teams. After all, Idaho plays in the Kibbie Dome. Ohio coach Frank Solich joked his only concern was that the pilots can see when they land.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="c5d0389c-4f54-11e5-9929-8773fb0263d2"}}

Pulling in the reins

Idaho coach Paul Petrino verbally attacked a few reporters Aug. 20, and had to be restrained.

Apparently Petrino didn’t like a story from a journalist who mentioned the Vandals were trying to “perfect” their vertical game with deep balls.

The coach saw the reporter who originally wrote the story and verbally attacked the writer, saying, “You don’t even know what the (expletive) you’re talking about.”

It’ll be interesting to see if a question regarding their passing game arises after the game Thursday night…

@CharlieHatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu