Ryan Lombardi, Vice President for Student Affairs, sings a duet with Jenny Hall-Jones, Dean of Students, during the Ava Nichols Faculty Pageant. The pageant hosted by Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed service fraternity.

Guest Column: Ohio University’s Ryan Lombardi offers last piece of advice to Bobcats

Former vice president for Student Affairs says final goodbye to Athens with tidbits of wisdom

Dear Bobcats,

I had the pleasure of spending the last seven years at Ohio University — first as the dean of students (2008-12) and more recently as the vice president for Student Affairs (2012-15). As you are reading this, I have started a new position a bit north of here at Cornell University.  

When The Post gave me the opportunity to provide a few thoughts to you in the Welcome Back Issue, I wasn’t sure what to say. There are really no words to describe the incredible memories of the past seven years.  Instead, I will share with you a little advice:

1. Cherish this community. It is like no other. You will form incredible bonds while at OHIO. Do not take them or your time here for granted.

2. Get to know your professors. They are special people who are deeply committed to your learning. Take advantage of that.

3. Use the resources available to you. The staff at Ohio University is here for you — they exist to help make your experience better. Ask that question. Ask for help when you need it.

4. Engage. Do not sleep your time in college away or waste it staying in your residence hall room/apartment. Get out on campus and engage with the people and life of this place.

5. Get to know Athens. This is a great college town with much to offer beyond Court Street. Go explore. Rent a Zipcar if you need to do so. They are cheap. There is no excuse.

6. Realize college is not a freebie. Some students I’ve encountered over the years think of college like a vacation in Las Vegas. What happens here, stays here. That is not accurate. Your “real” life has started, and how you carry yourself every day is making a difference in your future.

7. Use the network. Bobcat Alumni are among the most proud and supportive that I have ever met. Use them. They would love to help you while you are here or after you graduate.

8. Challenge yourself. Do not stick to what is comfortable while you are here. Real growth takes place when we are uncomfortable. Go out on a limb.

9. Be accountable. Don’t assign blame to others if things are not going the way you want them to. That is the easy way out. Take ownership and be accountable to yourself and others. If you don’t like the way things are going for you, make a change.

10. Tell your friends, family and loved ones what they mean to you. This may sound trite, but never let a day pass where the people that matter most in your life don’t know it.  

Thanks for allowing me the chance to offer some advice as you start this semester.  I wish you all a wonderful year ahead, and if you are ever in upstate New York, please be sure to look me up.

Ryan Lombardi is the former vice president for Student Affairs at Ohio University and is working as vice president for Student and Campus Life at Cornell University