The first presidential debate was held at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.

Kasich, other nominees sound off on immigration, LGBT rights and Medicaid at debate

John Kasich was greeted by a standing ovation from the Cleveland crowd.

Issues regarding the economy, LGBT rights and immigration took center stage Thursday night as the ten, top-polling GOP contenders for presidential nomination took part in the first Republican Party debate.

The debate took place at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich – who announced his candidacy three weeks ago and was able to secure enough votes in the polls to qualify for the debate — was greeted by a standing ovation when his name was announced at the start of the debate.

“I think you would call that a home court advantage,” said Megyn Kelly, a Fox News anchor and debate moderator.

Kasich touted his time as Governor as evidence of his abilities as a candidate, citing the state’s $8 billion deficit when he took office, compared to the state now being $5 billion dollars “in the black.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="de358bc4-30c0-11e5-aa85-63b267a289cc"}}

“We brought a program in here to make sure we could get (members of the working poor) back on their feet,” he said in response to a question about his Medicaid policy.

Kasich endorsed the expansion of Medicaid in 2013.

He also responded to Donald Trump’s statements about “building a wall” between the U.S. and Mexico.

“People want the wall to be built,” Kasich said. “They want to see an end in illegal immigration, but we all have different ways of doing it.”

Kelly also asked Kasich whether he would support one of his children if he or she came out as gay.

“Questions like that are planted to divide us,” he said.

Kasich claimed he was “old fashioned,” but said if one of his daughters came out as gay, he would continue to support her, adding  he also recently attended a gay wedding.

“I’ve ... said the court has ruled and I said we’ll accept it,” he said to audience applause. “Because someone doesn't think the same way I do doesn’t mean I can’t care about them and I can’t love them.”

LGBT rights issues also arose in a question posed to former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

When asked whether the military should allow transgendered soldiers to serve in the military, Huckabee said that government funding was better spent replacing old vehicles and equipment.

“The military is not a social experiment,” he said. “The purpose of the military is killing people and breaking things … the purpose is to fight for America.”

The debate moderators also touched on racial issues, specifically those related to the Black Lives Matter movement, although they spent less than a minute on the subject.

The question, posed to Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, focused on how to address “overly aggressive police officers targeting young African Americans.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="600663c8-15d5-11e5-9ddc-1b8754a911e4"}}

Walker answered that the solution is “about making sure that law enforcement officers have the proper training” and that there should be repercussions for officers who step over the line.

Race relations have especially been a topic of concern the host city of Cleveland after 12-year-old Tamir Rice was killed by police officers this past year.

In addition to asking Trump about his views on immigration, moderators asked him to clarify his varying stance on abortion.

In 1999, Trump identified as pro-choice, and in 2004 he claimed to have held largely Democratic views.

He said it was after watching a friends’ child grow up after they reconsidered abortion that he became pro-life.

“As far as being a Republican is concerned I come from a place, New York City, which is almost exclusively Democratic and I have really started to see some of the negatives,” Trump said.

But Trump also stirred controversy at the start of the debate when moderators asked if any of the candidates would consider running as an independent if they did not secure the party nomination.

Trump was the only candidate to raise his hand.

“I can totally make that pledge (to support the Republican ticket) if I’m a nominee,” he said. “I can pledge that I will not run as an independent. I want to win as a Republican.”

But he said he could not make that promise if he lost the nomination.

Rand Paul, U.S. Senator from Kentucky, then accused Trump of trying to divide the party, making it easier for the Democratic nominee to win.

“He buys and sells politicians of all stripes,” Paul said.

Trump was the most highly talked about candidate on social media during the event, followed by candidate Ben Carson and Paul, according to a news release from Facebook policy communications director and former spokesman for the House Majority PAC Andy Stone.

Facebook was a cohost of the event.

Kasich did not make Stone’s top five list.

“Tonight John Kasich proved why he’s the only candidate with the experience and vision to get America working again,” said Matt Carle, executive director of Kasich’s campaign team in a news release. “Voters have heard enough divisive rhetoric, they’re sick of empty promises and they know our country can’t afford to elect another president who needs on-the-job training.”

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu