Sophomore Allie Curry heads a ball in their game against the Detroit Titans on Friday, Sept. 12, 2014.

Ohio handed second-straight loss by Detroit

Two first half goals by Detroit saw the Bobcats drop their second straight game of the season.

228 minutes. That's how long it's been since the Ohio soccer team has scored a goal. The Bobcats opponents, however, are having no such problem locating the back of the net and that was proved once again when Detroit won 2-0 on Friday to hand Ohio its second-straight loss of the season.

The defense looked porous from the outset, with senior Grace Campbell resembling the only individual who has really settled into a solid defensive role. Her compatriots on the back line often looked lost, occasionally pushing too far forward, playing the Titans onside or failing to track their opponents runs.

It was that last situation that caused the first goal, as freshman Stephanie Rowland was forced to make a last-ditch tackle in the box and ended up giving away a penalty to the Titans. 

Alyssa Lotito stepped up to the spot and calmly buried it past Vanessa Cordoba to give Detroit a 1-0 lead in the 12th minute. 

It would be Lotito who would double the advantage as well, when she drove the ball down the right flank and fired a left-footed curler into the upper corner of the net, just past the hands of an outstretched Cordoba. 

Cordoba did make a number of impressive saves and dashed off her line to force the Titans into some uncomfortable situations but she was ultimately removed at half time with freshman Erin Beurket replacing her. 

Beurket wouldn't be called upon too heavily though, as Ohio's offense sparked to life in the second half, recording six shots in the last 45 minutes. The Bobcats managed only three shots on goal though and rarely looked a threat until the last half hour. 

Players like sophomore Hannah Jaggers and junior Alexis Milesky continually urged the Bobcats forward but the service into the box never came. Rowland also tried to force the issue and sophomore Celest Fushimi-Karns came forward quite frequently from full back but nothing ever materialized.

That had much to do with the Titans suffocating defense that seemed to stifle any opportunity the Bobcats came upon.

Ohio's best chance came when Detroit goalkeeper Marina Manzo charged off her line only to be beat to the ball by Jaggers. Jaggers then tried to curl it around the 'keeper but saw her shot saved by Manzo's foot.

A few more dangerous crosses didn't amount to much and a few touches in the box were typically cleared before an effort a goal could be recorded. Not scoring goals may be a problem for the Bobcats but if they can't find a way to tighten up on the defensive end as well, it will be a long season for Cordoba and Beurket. 

The Bobcats have their home opener on Sunday against Cleveland State.