APD cruisers are parked at the department's headquarters. (FILE)

Sexual assault reported to APD

APD and OUPD fielded two reports of sex-related calls this weekend.

The Ohio University Police Department and the Athens Police Department received two separate reports regarding sexual offenses that occurred this past weekend.

On Saturday, OUPD received a report of sexual imposition, which alleged that a female was touched in her groin area while walking on East Union Street by a male that she knew. 

The next day, APD received a report about a sexual assault.

According to a news release from APD, the report alleged that an 18-year-old female was sexually assaulted on Athens' east end on Sunday.

The release said the suspect is unknown, adding that the department believes there is no known threat to the public at the time. The case is currently under investigation.

APD could not be reached as of press time. 

In the past six months, there have been five sex offense-related reports filed between APD and OUPD.

During Spring Semester alone, OUPD received six sex-related reports that had occurred on campus.

On April 26, OUPD picked up an anonymous S.A.N.E. kit — a kit used to help determine if an individual has been sexually assaulted through DNA evidence — from OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital.

In 2014, APD received 26 calls of reported rape, according to APD's annual report.

Additionally, two reports of rape were filed last Fall Semester that remain active investigations, according to OUPD’s website.

Spring Semester's first report of a sex offense — a case of sexual imposition — occurred during the first week of the semester on Jan. 15.

According to police reports, three males approached a female OU student walking down Jeff Hill. One male touched her breast and buttocks, and all three males followed her back to her East Green dorm, where she shut the door on them.

The next day, Jan. 16, OUPD received another report of sexual imposition.

A female OU student reported she was walking north on the sidewalk between South Green Drive and North McKinley Avenue when a white man ran up behind her, touched her buttocks and quickly ran away from the scene.

The third report took place Jan. 18, when a female was allegedly raped in Wilson Hall on West Green.

All three of those reports remain active, according to OUPD’s website.

The fourth report occurred March 8, after a female OU student filed a report accusing Brian L. Goody, 40, of sexual imposition.

Goody was the first sexual imposition suspect to be arrested during Spring Semester.

The fifth sex-related crime involved a man who was arrested after publicly exposing himself in OU’s parking lot 122 on March 26.

The male was transported to the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail, according to OUPD’s police report log.

@Fair3Julia

jf311013@ohio.edu