via NBC.com 

SNL star Aidy Bryant to take over the Convo on Welcome Weekend

It'll be a free comedy show Saturday night.

Aidy Bryant is used to delivering her comedic wit on Saturday nights. But this week, she’s not performing at 30 Rockefeller Center — she’s at the Convocation Center.

The Saturday Night Live comedian is headlining a free comedy concert at the Convo on the Saturday of Welcome Weekend at 8 p.m. SNL writer Streeter Seidell will open the show.

“It’s a great way to welcome the students and give them something to do on their first Saturday in Athens,” said Andrew Holzaepfel, senior associate director of the Campus Involvement Center. “It’s targeted to first-year students, but anybody can come.”

The comedy show will replace the Campus Involvement Center’s annual Baker Bash activities on Saturday, said Matt Thomson, coordinator for campus programing.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2bad3836-45c8-11e5-94af-b3eaa8814f7d"}}

The movie night on West Green and South Beach, the introduction to Ping Center and campus recreation, the President’s Convocation and Involvement Fair will still take place Thursday, Friday and Sunday, respectively.

Thursday’s movie night features Pitch Perfect 2, one month before its DVD release date. The film will start after dark, between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. In case of inclement weather, Thomson said the movie night will move to Baker Theater in Baker University Center.

University Program Council, Black Student Cultural Programming Board, Student Senate, the Interfraternity Council and the Women’s Panhellenic Association are all co-sponsors of the Convo comedy show.

Bryant was previously scheduled to make a stop in Athens in February of 2015 but the show was cancelled due to scheduling changes.

“We’re excited to get her back,” Holzaepfel said. “I think (Bryant) was disappointed that she had to cancel the event last year. When we reached out to them, they were quick to respond.”

Bryant joined the cast of SNL in 2012 and has been a repertory player since her second season on the show. She is well-known for her characters Tonkerbell, Tinkerbell’s sassy half-sister; Morgan, the co-host and resident punching bag on “Girlfriends Talk Show;” and the eccentric Janine, the face and musical voice of the Waterbed Warehouse commercials. Bryant was also nominated for an Emmy for co-writing the digital short “(Do It On My) Twin Bed.”

Bryant said she is excited to kick off the academic year and is looking forward to “hanging out.” She added that Seidell is one of her “favorite writers at SNL.”

“I always want the audience to have a lot of fun. So hopefully I set a very fun, chill party vibe and that continues for the rest of the year,” Bryant said in an email. “I think of my show like a bag of party favors. You're gonna get a bunch of fun little stuff: stories about SNL, characters, a look at my childhood journal and maybe a sticker or two.”

@buzzlightmeryl

mg986611@ohio.edu