Taco Bell on East State Street may begin delivering food after several other locations of the chain restaurant have begun those services. 

Taco Bell delivery service in Athens a possibility

Taco Bell’s recent release of delivery services in 4 major markets could spread to college towns if successful.

Ohio University students may soon “Live Más” with fast Mexican food from Taco Bell’s slowly expanding delivery service.

In July, Taco Bell launched a delivery service in Los Angeles, Orange County, Dallas and the San Francisco Bay area that, if successful, may expand to college towns across the country.

“We’re testing and learning at the speed of the on-demand economy,” Tressie Lieberman, VP of Digital Innovation and On Demand at Taco Bell, said in a press release.

The company is encouraging customers to push for their city to be next by tweeting the hashtag #TacoBellDelivery.

Though the restaurant’s move has been met with customer excitement, notable Athens Mexican food and delivery services are not concerned.

“I’m sure (Taco Bell delivery) would cut into our business a little bit,” said Aaron Hoffman, founder of OU Delivery, who said his company frequently delivers Taco Bell. “Their delivery fee is more than our $3 fee. I don’t see it being a huge impact.”

Quinn Schaller, owner of Big Mama’s Burritos, said he is skeptical about Taco Bell’s decision.

“I don’t know how well it will really go over for them,” Schaller said. “We did delivery about 10 years ago and found that the Athens market isn’t big for burrito delivery.  The burritos really don’t hold up in the time it takes to deliver.”

Nonetheless, OU students are excited at the prospect of Volcano Tacos and Gordita Supremes at their doorstep.

"I'd be right on that right away," said Caleb Brune, an undecided freshman. "Cheap, good eats, even if it's not super healthy. I wish it were already closer to campus."

Taco Bell and its more than 350 franchise organizations, including its Athens location on E. State St., have nearly 6,000 restaurants across the United States that serve more than 36 million customers every week.

Taco Bell Corporate could not be reached for permission to speak with employees of the Athens restaurant.

@MCTilton

mt5225913@ohio.edu