APD cruisers are parked at the department's headquarters. (FILE)

Athens burglary spree solved with DNA evidence

The Athens Police Department used DNA evidence to solve a three-house burglary spree. The burglar remains behind bars. 

The Athens Police Department solved a three-house burglary spree Wednesday by using DNA evidence found at the scenes, according to a news release from APD.

The department’s Criminal Investigative Unit obtained DNA evidence of Corey Allan Davis, 22, an Athens' resident, which lead to APD charging Davis with three charges of second-degree felony burglary, according to the release. Davis broke into three residences on Joneswood Drive.

APD filed three charges against Davis of the second-degree felony. Davis sits in the regional jail for receiving stolen property in July, according to the Southeastern Regional Jail website.

Davis has three additional bonds in the amount of $50,000 each, for the three separate burglaries, according to the jail’s website. A court date has not been set for these crimes yet.

The news release also included a message from APD Chief Tom Pyle who said his department continues to investigate the "significant" increase of home burglaries that have occurred over the past few months.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f79868c2-501c-11e5-a4a1-27f68cb5ec91"}}

“We urge the community to remain vigilant, to lock your doors and windows, and to watch out for your neighbor’s property as well,” Pyle said.

In the release, Pyle said documenting serial numbers on personal property helps law enforcement solve burglaries and thefts.

When our CIU can obtain serial numbers for stolen property, the chances of our solving the crime increases exponentially as does our chance in returning one’s stolen property,” Pyle said.

The news release said securing serial numbers in cloud drives and thumb drives is the easiest way to document the information.

Pyle also suggested installing security video cameras in the corners of entry points, which may help APD identify and arrest the individual involved in the burglary.

@Fair3Julia

jf311013@ohio.edu