Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery

Athens Planned Parenthood hosts educational beer and cheese social at Jackie O's

Planned Parenthood extends the opportunity to learn more information about its services with a beer and cheese social at Jackie O’s.

Planned Parenthood for Greater Ohio is making its information and services even more readily available and fun for students to learn about with a happy hour Saturday.

The seventh annual Beer and Cheese Incident will be held at Jackie O’s Pub and Brewery, 22 W. Union St., which entails a social for educating young people on Planned Parenthood.

“Our primary target audience is young professionals, but it’s really open to anyone,” Michelle Corrigan, a member of the Planned Parenthood leadership council, said. “The purpose is to do more about education of Planned Parenthood and engagement.”

Corrigan said people need to know the resources are available in Athens and the work that Planned Parenthood does.

In addition to a full bar for happy hour, the event will have cheese and crackers, raffles for prizes and live music from The Touchy Feelys. This year will have a new addition to the games — human sexual bingo, which provides more information on its core values.

Just like previous years, the event will have two specialty beers conditioned just for the occasion.

Liam McDonald, a brewmaster at Jackie O’s, said the first beer is a blonde ale called “The 97%”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="24b5e12e-5be7-11e5-b24d-07771629368c"}}

“It’s a cool bean, which is a golden ale made with coffee,” he said. “It’s aged on vanilla beans and cacao nibs.”

The second is called "Champions of Choice.”

“It’s an OPA Ohio pale ale. It’s a crisp, poppy ale,” McDonald said. “It’s aged on grapefruit juice, orange juice and zest.”

Pints are $2 with proceeds going to Planned Parenthood of Greater Ohio.

Corrigan said the event had a great turnout last year, and she hopes to have a lot of people again Saturday.

Last year, the Athens Health Center, operated by Planned Parenthood of Greater America, saw 979 unduplicated patients for 1,702 appointments, which includes individuals for both Medicaid and private health insurance.

“Planned Parenthood is available in communities across the country,” Corrigan said. “I think they have been under scrutiny recently, but they help especially people with low income. This is a great way for people to learn more information about us and what can provide.”

— Alex Darus contributed to this report.

@mmfernandez_

mf736213@ohio.edu