Abbey Peyton

BedPost: Developing feelings for people can be intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be

Though the circumstances may vary, putting yourself on the line romantically is almost always scary.

Emotions are a difficult thing to talk about. When it comes to developing feelings for someone, it's extremely scary. You want to let the person know about these feelings and you also probably want to know how they feel back, but you don't want to be vulnerable. I say, let the emotions fly.

Putting yourself out there and laying your emotions on the table is scary because it's uncertain how the other person will respond, but I think it's better to be open earlier on before feelings grow stronger and attachment becomes deeper.

In most scenarios, you feel this way about this person because they treat you as though they have feelings for you as well. Whether it's casual hook ups, close friends or even someone you've just recently met and instantly clung to, you're going to have these feelings if this person shows romantic interest. Sometimes, though, this isn't the case.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="af5c19a2-5b32-11e5-bf12-5707af78613e"}}

Sometimes we can feel this way, not because of how this person treats us, but because we just happen to love everything about them. Based on situations I've witnessed with my friends, if you don't speak up about these feelings they can go on for years, building and escalating without limit.

The frustration of never knowing how this person feels about you will do the same. If you know right off the bat, you're less likely to be let down. It's better to know now, when things are new and you're less involved, than to find out the feelings are one-sided after you've fallen too far.

Let yourself be open and just ask. If not, your feelings will soar over time and, if you let yourself fly too high, without any promise of stable wings, your wings might just melt from the heat of the sun.

Abbey Peyton is a senior studying broadcast journalism. What experiences do you have with having feelings for friends? Email her at ap384611@ohio.edu.