Black Student Union to host week of events to familiarize Ohio University Athens' campus with the organization

Ohio University’s Black Student Union is hosting a week of events from Sept. 28 to Oct. 2. to help familiarize campus with the organization.

Ohio University students can expect a week of exciting events from the Black Student Union who aims on bringing the campus together through movies, critical discussions and a ‘90s-themed day party.

The Black Student Union will host a week of events from Sept. 28 to Oct. 2 dedicated for members of the organization to get to know the new students of OU and the Athens campus.

“For two years, we’ve been trying to have this event as a way for the community to get to know (the student union),” Morgan Peterson, president of the group, said.

Peterson said most of the organization's events happen in the Spring Semester, but the group wanted to change that by adding a week of events this fall.

“Most of our events are heavy during Black History Month,” Peterson, a senior studying strategic communication, said. “And this is a way to space it out and create an equal balance between the semesters.”

The group’s week of events will include a movie night, a dodgeball tournament, a “State of the Union” meeting Thursday and an All That day party at Broney's Alumni Grill, 7 W. Carpenter St., Friday.

“I’m really excited about the State of the Union meeting on Thursday,” Peterson said. “It’s a panel where we get to talk about different issues that have impacted  the black community and people will have the opportunity to ask questions and speak about it.”

Morgan Matthews, a sophomore studying marketing, said she didn’t know about the week of events the Black Student Union was having, but said she enjoys what the group does for the multicultural students on campus.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="c4b2bda6-6226-11e5-b49b-53224e299c40"}}

“I appreciate (the Black Student Union) because it creates a support system for the African American students of campus,” Matthews said. “They create a helping network when there’s such a small number of us on campus.”

Olivia Blackburn, a junior studying screenwriting and production, Spanish and African American studies, said that the week of events the Black Student Union is providing will create a lasting impact on the multicultural students at OU.

“They are providing a chance for freshmen and other new students to see an array of visibility in the black community on OU’s campus,” Blackburn said. “There isn’t a lot of us, so whatever events bring us together, it will definitely make us known on campus.”  

@its_candicew

cw873012@ohio.edu