Campus Involvement Center in trial for text alert program

Ohio University's Campus Involvement Center uses a trial text messaging service to inform students about campus events and activities.

This year, Ohio University students have a new way of learning about activities on campus: text messages.

Students can sign up to receive text alerts about events and activities happening on campus, Matthew Thomson, coordinator for campus programs in the Campus Involvement Center, said.

“Our main goal for these text messages is to increase attendance at our events, as well as make students more aware of what is happening on campus,” Thomson said.

OU partnered with the National Association for Campus Activities and a company called On Campus Text, which supplies OU with the extra technology needed for such an extensive data base.

There are 1,850 students signed up to receive text alerts. However, Thomson has a personal goal of 3,000 students enrolled during the initial three weeks of the month-long trial.

Sydney Meckler, a freshman studying strategic communications, said she has already signed up for the alerts and finds the text messages innovative.

“There’s always so much going on here, so it’s helpful when there is one outlet for me to check,” Neckler said.

OU is also using the service to give away coupons to buy discounted tickets for concerts and other events.

Thomson said the involvement center gave away free tickets to Third Eye Blind and plans to do the same for the Nate Ruess concert in October.

Thomson said the involvement center is promoting the program with posters in Baker Center, email blasts, promotion of the alerts at different sponsored events and student employees at certain events for quick signups via iPad.

If a student signs up at an event on an iPad, they have the option to enter a contest to win a iPad mini.

Each text message alert comes with a disclaimer at the end, which can help students remove themselves from the alerts if they desire.

OU is in a 30-day trial period for the On Campus Text program, which began Aug. 22 with a message about the Convo Comedy Night show with Aidy Bryant.

Thomson said such a trial period is necessary to ensure the cost of the program is worthy of such an investment, compared to the number of students enrolled in it.

The annual price of the program varies from $1,199 to $3,499, and custom plans are available too, according to the company’s website.

Thomson said if OU decides to stick with the service, he’ll negotiate “a custom plan based off of our needs.”

Natalie Kunce, a freshman studying journalism, said the text alerts are simple and easy to use.

“The alerts are nice because being a freshman and not knowing how to use the website yet is frustrating. But the alerts tell you what’s going on so you don't have to figure it out yourself,” Kunce said. “It’s definitely more modern; instead of getting everything by email, it’s easier by text.”

@paigey5000

pc518214@ohio.edu