Closer Than They Appear: Diversity keeps the melting pot ever-changing

In the face of an immigration surge, a classic generational beat teaches the timeless value of diversity.

There are few cultural constants that American youth from the late 1970s and those of today share. The innovation of today’s fast-paced society has created an entirely different growing cycle than ever experienced by a generation before. But despite the thralls of iPads and Wii, it is impossible for a child on a perfect summer night not to run outside and discover the glow and wonderment of catching fireflies.

One of these cultural constants is Schoolhouse Rock’s “Great American Melting Pot.” Who knew that such a catchy tune could deliver for generation after generation one of society’s most timeless cultural lessons?

Of course, now, kids who listen to the song have to pause their bright screens, leaving their headphones dangling off the arm of the couch, before running outside to catch a different kind of light.

A great migration is happening in the world today. Hundreds of thousands of immigrants are entering into countries in the European Union. The refugees come primarily from the Middle East, fleeing civil war and persecution with hopes of finding asylum.

With refugees pouring in, many countries face the difficult decision, from an economic standpoint and in some cases from a political one, of whether to grant entrance into their country or to turn the refugees away. Now, before one is quick to pick a side of this debate, consider what our younger selves so easily understood from a Schoolhouse Rock jam: diversity has allowed us to become what we are today.

The effects of the great diversification happening around the world are present in our everyday lives. Not only are generations becoming more and more accepting of all cultures, but so many individuals are growing up with a more “worldly” perspective than ever before.

With this growth our generation has the distinct advantage of being able to work in a broad range of environments. So as people flood into countries different than that of their origin, think of who you have met in classes or clubs and the new experiences you have already engaged in. Learning is about much more than taking notes and reading; taking just a glance around the melting pot can teach us about the wonders of the world without even leaving your seat.

Anna Ayers is a freshman studying journalism and finance. Do you think the Schoolhouse Rock song’s message still rings true today? Email her at aa183414@ohio.edu