Column: MLB teams heating up before playoffs

Major League Baseball teams are finalizing their playoff rosters.

With October fast approaching, teams around Major League Baseball are finalizing their playoff rosters as they make a push for the postseason. Most teams are lead by veterans, usually having experience playing in important games as summer turns to fall. This year, however, there has been a youth movement sweeping the league, and rookies are playing prominent roles for contenders.

Notable rookie standouts playing a vital part on a playoff team:

Kris Bryant, Third Baseman- Chicago Cubs

Bryant had immense hype surrounding his April 17th call up, and since coming to the Major Leagues, he has produced. Bryant broke the franchise record for home runs by a rookie (26), previously set by Billy Williams.  He has driven in 98 runs, but also leads the MLB in strikeouts (188).  While he is usually stationed at third base, Bryant has shown versatility and moved around to play all three outfield positions as well. He figures to be the front runner for NL Rookie of the Year.  

Joc Pederson, Center Field- Los Angeles Dodgers

Despite second-half struggles, Pederson has been a key cog in the middle of the Dodgers order for the majority of the 2015 campaign. He had a strong first-half to the season, headlined by his 20 home runs and a second place finish in the Home Run Derby. Pederson is hitting under .200 since the All-Star Break, but lately has shown flashes of promise. To go along with the power in his bat, he has played stellar defense and figures to patrol center field for years to come at Chavez Ravine.

Steven Matz, Starting Pitcher- New York Mets

The 24-year-old left-hander has dazzled on the mound in Queens for the NL East champion Mets. Matz battled a lat injury for a month which took multiple starts away from him, but he has still posted a 4-0 record in six starts. Although he is a pitcher, Matz made history in his MLB debut at the plate, driving in four runs and setting the franchise record for RBIs in a Major League debut. After having a month off, Matz should have a better chance to pitch longer in the playoffs before reaching an innings limit.

Carlos Correa, Shortstop- Houston Astros

The number one pick in the 2013 MLB Draft, Correa has become the leader of the upstart Astros, and hopes to lead them into the playoffs come October.  With only 92 games under his belt, Correa already leads all MLB shortstops in home runs (21), and ranks third on the Astros in Wins Above Replacement (3.9).  Correa, who was picked before Bryant, also had high expectations as he came to the Major Leagues, and like Bryant has surpassed these standards. 

Francisco Lindor, Shortstop- Cleveland Indians

Similar to Correa, Lindor was the top prospect in his respective organization, and he has become a key component as the Indians battle for the second AL Wild Card Spot.  In 91 games Lindor is hitting .320, including 35 extra base hits.  Paired with a solid bat, Lindor has played outstanding defense (6 defensive runs saved via FanGraphs). Regardless of if the Indians make the playoffs, they have found a star in Lindor during the 2015 season.  

Luis Severino, Starting Pitcher- New York Yankees

Both New York teams have had a rookie emerge atop their rotation this season, and in the Bronx it has proven to be 21-year-old Dominican right hander Luis Severino. The young righty has just gone 4-3, but has posted a solid 3.10 ERA.  Severino has electric stuff, including a fastball nearing 100 MPH and off speed pitches known to buckle the knees of opposing batters.  With CC Sabathia hurt, look for Severino to pitch near the top of the rotation alongside Nathan Eovaldi in the postseason.

sb655514@ohio.edu