Gabe Hannahs, an undecided freshman, enters Jefferson Market on East Green to purchase groceries. The market will close in April and reopen in 2017.

Editorial: Ohio University to include international products in soon-to-be renovated Jefferson Market

Future international students will have the opportunity to buy ethnic products when the campus market is revamped.

Many try to make Athens their home away from home, but some find themselves unable to connect to their own past because of a basic need — food.

Thankfully, Ohio University is trying to do its part in changing that by offering international products in Jefferson Market, which will close in April 2016 and reopen in January 2017.

We commend the university for making a more inclusive atmosphere for students who leave their families and come to study in a new country, which certainly is an intimidating decision.

Though specific products have not been announced, this is a step in the right direction for OU because previous selections at university markets have not been known for their ethnic cuisine.

The fact that Culinary Services also sought the input of the International Student Union demonstrates how serious it seems to be taking the situation.

The international stock doesn’t just benefit students from out of the country though. American students will also have the opportunity to experience pieces of their fellow students’ cultures by having the option to purchase these items.

There are grocery stores on East State and Court streets that sell Asian products as well as several restaurants in the area that serve Thai, Mediterranean, Chinese and Indian food, but now those types of food will be easily available to students with a flex meal plan.

Often times, international students, which comprised 1,860 of the entire student body in 2014, are not afforded the same enjoyments from home that students living in the States are. They chose to study at OU for the same reason everyone does, we all love our quirky town in the hills. The only difference is that some of them traveled across the world to do it.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: Editor-in-Chief Emma Ockerman, Managing Editor Rebekah Barnes, Opinion Editor Will Gibbs and Digital Managing Editor Samuel Howard. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.