Editorial

Editorial: State politics should be a priority for students

With state legislatures meeting next week, ‘Post’ editors encourage students to get educated.

We know Ohio University students have a lot going on. Between homework, extracurriculars and (of course) nightlife, there’s much to juggle, even in a town of 20,000 people.

But consider this: You should care about what goes on nearly 77 miles north at the Ohio Statehouse.

As state legislators reconvene next week after a three-month break this summer, they’ll discuss a few bills from earlier this year that should matter to you.

One former statewide education requirement, the “five of eight” rule, which required schools to have certain numbers of art teachers, physical education coaches, music teachers, counselors, nurses, librarians, social workers and visiting teachers, was overturned this year. That law required public schools to have at least five of those faculty members for every 1,000 students.   

Athens’ State Representative, Debbie Phillips, D-Albany, did not want to abolish the law, telling one of our reporters she is working on a similar one to replace it before year’s end.

One former-bill-turned-law affects those studying education, particularly in Appalachian counties. The most recent Ohio budget bill included the new Ohio Appalachian Teaching Program, a measure pushed by Sen. Troy Balderson, R-Zanesville.  

The program, which takes effect this school year, will receive $125,000 per year and was created to draw teachers to Appalachian counties after graduation.

Those are just a couple of the important issues that directly affect students and demonstrate why they should be empathetic toward legal matters.

Students may not be making decisions, but for those who are in-state, you (hopefully) vote for the people who do. Educating yourself about what’s actually going on in your state is an easy thing to do and a valuable use of your time.