Devin Bass, senior cornerback for the Ohio University football team, poses after practice in Walter Fieldhouse. 

Football: Devin Bass looks to re-establish himself as a top MAC cornerback after injury-plagued junior year

Two years after receiving All-MAC honors in both defense and special teams, Bass hopes to return both himself and the Bobcats to prominence in 2015.

As a redshirt senior, Devin Bass is one of the oldest cornerbacks for the Bobcats. At 5-foot-9, he's also the shortest. And when he’s healthy, he’s one of the best playmakers in the Mid-American Conference.

That’s something he proved in 2013, when he was awarded second-team All-MAC for his work in the secondary and first-team All-MAC for his kick return abilities.

After suffering a groin strain and a hernia the summer before his junior year, Bass was made vulnerable for the first time in his career.

“You just can’t play this game at the level that you want to if you’re not 100%,” Jimmy Burrow, defensive coordinator, said. “But (Bass) pushed through it, and got better all the time. Now he’s healthy, and made some big plays for us at Idaho saving a couple touchdowns, so I would say he’s on track to get back where he was two years ago.”

Last season, Bass's return duties were limited before being taken away altogether after Ohio's loss to Marshall. He remained a presence on the defense, though it was evident, not only to his own coaches and teammates but also to opposing teams, he wasn't the same player from 2013.

Teams reacted accordingly — targeting Bass on deep passes throughout last year — while Solich and Ohio's coaches struggled to find the best role for a player who still had talent to spare and a drive to be on the field.

“If they’re targeting you, they’re targeting you for a reason,” Bass said. “Before last year, I didn’t give up too many deep balls because I had set a standard early on for being able to defend them. But (opposing) teams saw an advantage in my injuries that they could take advantage of. With those out of the way, I just need to step my game up.”

Bass is a graduate of Millard North High School in Omaha, Nebraska, where he played receiver, running back and corner. He intercepted eight passes during his senior year, which helped him make first-team All-Nebraska and Defensive Back of the Year.

Given his high school track record, the impact he made as a redshirt freshman wasn't a surprise.

Bass made 43 tackles, three for a loss, and recorded an interception against Norfolk State. His sophomore year was nearly identical, resulting in 41 tackles, 1.5 for loss, and two picks.

The consistency he displayed was good enough to garner All-MAC recognition for his sophomore year.

Despite not tallying any touchdowns on special teams, Bass was able to bring home first-team All-MAC honors for returning kicks his sophomore year because of the consistency he displayed on returns.

Bass said his sophomore year opened his eyes about just how much of a future in football might be possible for him, and that sentiment continues to drive him going into his senior year.

“Before I came to college, I never gave any thought to making the pros,” Bass said. “My mom always talked about it, and always talked about me buying her that house, but for me, it always seemed far-fetched to me. But sophomore year, the honors kind of came out of nowhere, so that kind of set into perspective that there might be possibilities for me at the next level.”

With health questions out of the picture so far during his senior year, Bass has appeared to be back to his original form.

He’s spent a good amount of time around the ball in the Bobcats’ first two games, picking up five total tackles in the secondary, while also locking down opponents in the passing game with two pass breakups. 

Bass’ role on special teams still appears to be limited, with senior Daz Patterson registering all kick returns this season while redshirt freshman Papi White has received every punt for the Bobcats.

Bass says he’s fine with simply being relied on for his defensive efforts though, and Burrow said he supports any role for Bass that may help the team win.

“If coach wants him to return kicks, that’s fine,” Burrow said. “He’s athletic. He can really get the ball and go downhill as a returner. Any way he can help us win games, I’m all for it.”

@_tonywolfe_

aw987712@ohio.edu