Ohio junior wide receiver Sebastian Smith hauls in a one-handed grab for a touchdown in the first half during Ohio's 21-10 win against rivals Marshall at Peden Stadium.

Football: Ohio's wide receivers corps not thinking about QB situation

Despite the Bobcats utilizing their third-string quarterback this season, receivers Sebastian Smith and Brendan Cope don't put much thought into who's behind center. 

Brendan Cope and Sebastian Smith are not giving the quarterback situation much thought.

Come Saturday, when Ohio plays Southeastern Louisiana at Peden Stadium, Cope and the rest of the receiving corps “will play their game” — regardless of who is under center.

“Switching around the quarterbacks doesn’t really bother us," Cope said. "All year around, we throw with every quarterback, every practice — can’t even tell when I’m running a route. I line up, I’m not even sure who’s the quarterback.

“Yeah, I would say I get a little bit more balls from JD and Vick, but at the same time, I get a ton from everybody else too,” Cope said.

With quarterbacks JD Sprague in a sling and Derrius Vick sporting a right arm sleeve at practice Tuesday, Greg Windham, the third-string QB, took first team reps throughout the week and could be utilized Saturday.

Windham played in the final drive of Ohio’s 21-10 win against Marshall last weekend, but did not record any statistics.

“We are confident in Greg. What is probably even more important is Greg’s confidence in Greg,” coach Frank Solich said Monday during his weekly press conference.

“He is a very confident young man. He has certainly waited for opportunities to get into the game and showcase himself. Even though there haven’t been many, he has responded well," Solich said. 

Cope and Smith reiterated Solich’s confidence in Windham’s ability to pace the offense moving forward.

“We put it on No. three, Greg Windham, and he knows how to play ball. We felt comfortable with him in there,” Smith said Saturday after Ohio's win against Marshall. 

The two wide receivers have combined for 237 receiving yards and two touchdowns in 2015, as Smith hauled in a one-handed touchdown pass from Sprague against Marshall.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="7a231340-5b13-11e5-aade-9f58c5dc8d11"}}

Statistically, the Bobcats’ aerial attack is more efficient with Vick in this season (his efficiency is 174.6 in comparison to Sprague’s 143.3), as Ohio only garnered 156 passing yards against Marshall. Smith had 86 of those yards.

Marshall ranks 70th in passing yards allowed this season, giving up an average of 213 yards per game. Idaho, Ohio’s opponent in week one, ranks 124 out of 127 teams.

The Bobcats had 284 passing yards and three passing touchdowns against the Vandals. Of those, 129 receiving yards went to Cope. 

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@Ohio.edu