Emma Ockerman

From the Editor's Desk: 'Post' to start hosting student-led sessions on reporting, digital media

'Post' editor Emma Ockerman introduces "Post Sessions", a new initiative to host student-lead discussions on common journalism questions.

There were a lot of things I didn't know my first year at The Post

How to be a reporter, for example.

Let's be honest: words like "nut graf" (the who, what, when, where and why of the story) and "lede" (the beginning of the story) can be a bit intimidating for someone just getting into this whole journalism thing.

Luckily, The Post has excellent editors that are willing and able to teach new staff members whatever they want to know, whether that's writing, shooting photos, designing, copy editing or making an interactive graphic. 

Still, admitting what you don't know and need to learn can be the hardest conversation for a rookie reporter to have. During my freshman year, it took a long time to sum up the courage to admit that I had no idea how to write a headline, and even longer to admit I had no idea what "CMS" meant. I still have a lot to learn. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="3074f128-4d03-11e5-8088-4f26870c87d2"}}

So that's why we're going to start hosting student-led, public events called "Post Sessions." These will be short, typically 30 to 45-minute classes that go over questions we've all had before, or still could use a refresher on: How do you get started on your first story? Your first interview? How do you use social media to gather information? Should I actually learn how to code?

We're not hosting Post Sessions because we think we're experts, or because we think we know better than any class currently taught in E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. We simply want to create an environment between student journalists where we can learn from one another and ask all the "dumb questions" we might have.

Of course, these courses won't be just for Post staff members. Anyone can come, and anyone can contact us if they'd like to host one. We want interesting lectures and vigorous discussions, and we want that to be a lively opportunity between all students on campus. 

Our first 'Post' Session — dubbed "How to be a Reporter 101" — will be held Sept. 10 in Schoonover 380 at 6:45 p.m. We'll be going over all the basics and a lot more, so please stop by. We have a lot to learn from you, too.

Emma Ockerman is the editor-in-chief of The Post and a junior studying journalism. Want to host a Post Session, or just get in touch with her? Email her at eo300813@ohio.edu or Tweet her at @eockerman.