Sophie Kruse

Gamer Girl: Tinder satisfying for meeting people, lousy for human interaction

Social apps can be helpful for developing connections, but does it take away too much from face-to-face communication?

I’ve written about a lot of things over the past few years in this column, but one thing I haven’t touched on kind of sticks out: online dating sites and apps.

There are a ton of them out there, but I think the one we all use the most is Tinder. Choose a few of your favorite pictures you have on your Facebook page, slap up a short bio and you’re ready to go on the app.

You can swipe through anyone in the age range you choose. If you like them, swipe right and you’ll see whether they liked you back. Swipe left if you aren’t interested and you’ll never see them on the app again.

In theory, dating apps are great because it allows you to connect with people you might otherwise never have noticed before and also allows you to easily chat with them. It shows you shared connections and common interests, which aims to give you a talking point. For people looking to meet someone else, technology tries to make it simpler.

However, I think these apps are ruining how we interact in the “real world.” On Tinder, there’s less rejection. You know instantly if someone isn’t interested because they won’t swipe back to you. Sure, conversations can go south, but it’s less personal than a face-to-face chat. You can portray yourself completely how you would like to: no awkward angles in photos, no goofy poses if you’re trying to be serious.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="745efba6-5198-11e5-a516-673aa6246021"}}

It seems that since all the eligible singles have a Tinder account that people just don’t try as hard to meet someone in a more organic way. On Tinder, boys (and I’m sure girls do it too) don’t have a problem sending raunchy and sometimes rude messages right away to get right to the point. For some, politeness and mannerisms are thrown out the window. Since many people use the app for hookups, it’s easy for people to get straight to the point about it.

I think it’s adorable when you hear of success stories from the app, but they’re few and far between. Swiping and messaging is easy, but going up to someone in public and introducing yourself is harder.

People rarely meet anyone by introductions in a public place — it seems like all relationships stem from mutual connections and some online flirting. While neither of those are bad ways to meet someone, I just can’t help but feel a bit nostalgic for the times where you could spark up a conversation with someone random (not that our generation really ever had that time).

I think we could all benefit from trying to put a little more effort into romantic conquests. I’ve always been an advocate of the ways technology can connect people, and I still think that’s true. However, we need to stop using the ease of technology as a crutch to not meet people the real way.

Sophie Kruse is a senior studying journalism, business and marketing. Do you have a Tinder success story? Email her at sk139011@ohio.edu or tweet her @kruseco.