Sophie Kruse

Gamer Girl: Tokyo Game Show places spotlight on indie game, virtual reality

Virtual reality games may be hitting stores sooner than you think.

While most of us follow probably two U.S. video game conferences, E3, Electronic Entertainment Expo, and PAX Prime, there are some conferences that are on a similar scale of announcements happening other places around the world. This past weekend was Tokyo Game Show. There were a ton of announcements throughout the weekend, but I had two particular standouts. From a device that will definitely be big in the States to a game you’ve never heard of that’s played by over five million people, I think TGS proves it’s important to pay attention to the industry around the world.

Sony’s take on virtual reality, which was formerly called Project Morpheus, was presented at TGS as PlayStation VR — not as creative of a name but a little more obvious about what the thing actually is.

“VR rewrites the rule book on how you create games. You’re seeing a large amount of interest and work happening among smaller teams, because it’s possible to create something in VR that is very simple but still very magical,” Sony CEO Andrew House told Bloomberg during an interview at TGS. The console is on track to be released in the first half of 2016 with around 10 titles that will be playable on the device.

A set cost hasn’t been announced yet, but it’s been hinted it will cost around $400 and the user will need to own the PS4 as well.

I think virtual reality is definitely going to become a standard part of video games in the future. Looking at everything out, it’s the most immersive experience you could get with a game. While the cost is going to be a definite factor (it’s around the same price as the more advanced, soon to be released Oculus Rift), it seems it will one day be some present in many households. Just think: we used to think that motion-detected technology was advanced. Now, there’s been more than 100 million Wii’s sold. Virtual reality gear and content are expected to have a market worth more than $60 billion within a decade, forecasted by Piper Jaffray Cos.

Another standout at TGS is Granblue Fantasy, which Kotaku dubs “the biggest game in Japan you’ve probably never heard of.” It’s a massive free-to-play game for PC and mobile devices (available in the original Japanese, so it might be a little difficult for most of us to play).

The physical magnitude of this game at TGS was giant: their developer, Cygames, had a booth the same size as Sony’s but dedicated to this one single title. Their exhibit featured an airship, two-story screen, giant building and theater. There’s a way to make an impact.

To be honest, I still don’t totally know how the gameplay is in this game and really don’t know much about it. It’s described as a turn-based role playing game with traditional Japanese elements. Characters gain experience, which allows them to gain levels and abilities. The best explanation I’ve found is from Polygon: “Players will build up parties of four characters and send them into battle using a command-based combat system, in which players will take turns with opponents and select actions for each party member to execute.”

While it might be hard for me to check out and play Granblue Fantasy, it reminded me of the importance to check out games that might not necessarily bear significance to our own country.

Sophie Kruse is a senior majoring in journalism and minoring in business and marketing. Did you follow the Tokyo Game Show? Email her at sk139011@ohio.edu or tweet her @kruseco.