Taylor Wisnieski laughs nervously before she goes zip lining at the Outdoor Pursuits Challenge Course near The Ridges. Course manager Andy Diehl and Taylor's mom, Kris, encourage her to jump on April 7.

Keep your parents entertained Parents Weekend at Ohio University with this events guide

This weekend will feature an assortment of events for students to enjoy with their parents

Last year during Parents Weekend, Chase Stephenson, a junior studying outdoor recreational management, went the unconventional route and took his mom out for a round of nine holes at the Ohio University Golf Course.

"It was actually for a class. You just got to go golfing to boost your grade," Stephenson said. "After, we went to a bunch of knick-knack stores — she likes knick knacks. We definitely had a good time."

Stephenson said his mom is making the trip from Cleveland again this year but only for one day.

"It'll be pretty relaxed this year — probably go out to eat and just chill with my mom," he said. 

Almost a month after students’ arrival on campus, Parents Weekend will return this year with a number of university-scheduled events for families to partake in.

“All in all, it’s truly a university collaborative event that takes place within the next few days,” Jamie Patton, assistant dean of students, said. “Parents Weekend is truly a community event, not just on campus but through the Athens community. That's what it means to be a part of what we call the Bobcat family.”

The events kick off on Friday with a hockey game in Bird Arena. The Ohio hockey team will face off against John Carroll University at 7:30 p.m. Student admission is $6 and non-students cost is $8 to enter the game.

Saturday opens with a brunch themed after the '90s TV show Friends, called P*A*R*E*N*TS. The brunch will be held in Baker Center Ballroom. An arrangement of warm breakfast foods will be provided while live music and a raffle are prepared for the families while they eat for $15 a person.

Administrators will attend the brunch to chat with students and their families.

Later in the afternoon at 2 p.m., Ohio will play against Southeastern Louisiana University at Peden Stadium.

“It’s the most popular (event) in general,” Kelsey Tetmeyer, a freshman studying special education, said. “It’s college — football games are fun. It’s an American sport.”

Students can attend the game for free, but parents must purchase tickets for $30.

On Saturday night at 8 p.m., a comedy show will take place at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium for families who want a less sports-oriented atmosphere. The show will feature Chicago’s The Second City sketch and improv group.

“They're back again and we love their presence and just them being part of our tradition here at Ohio University,” Patton said.

Emma Schultz, a freshman studying pre-media arts and studies, said her family plans to stay away from the crowds of the sporting events by going to the show instead.

Sunday is geared toward outdoor activities such as the Ziplining Adventure at The Ridges, which still has spots available. Tickets are $25 which includes transportation, instruction and equipment. One-hour time slots are available between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b2a5f6c8-5c9f-11e5-ac48-334b4a9235d2"}}

Casey Palmer, a freshman studying pre-nursing, said ziplining is a different experience that Athens has to offer that other places in Ohio do not.

“We’re just grateful for parents that come down and visit their students on this weekend,” Patton said. “It's been a long four weeks for some students. A lot has happened, a lot has changed and it's an excellent time for parents to be here on the student's home turf and spend time in Athens to see the OU experience through the views of a student.”

@mmfernandez_

mf736213@ohio.edu

@billieafrank1

bf799814@ohio.edu