Herman Brunis of Ohio University attempts to avoid a tackle but is ultimately taken down in the game against Southeastern Louisiana at Peden Stadium. 

MAC Notebook: Week 3 yields nail-biters in the MAC

MAC teams have challenged Power Five programs

The college football regular season is officially a quarter of the way through, and the Mid-American Conference continues to challenge, and even beat, programs in Power Five conferences.  

Hanging with the Big Ten

Northern Illinois nearly upset No. 1 Ohio State, holding a lead in most of the second and third quarters before the Buckeyes came back to win, 20-13.

Though disappointed with a loss, NIU coach Rod Carey said the game offers an opportunity to learn from mistakes. 

“Grow from it, move from it, learn from it," Carey said. "Hopefully those lessons teach us how to play next time we’re there."

After the gold rush

In a battle of the “Goldens,” the Minnesota Golden Gophers narrowly edged out the Kent State Golden Flashes, 10-7.

Kent State’s defense shined in the loss, however.  Demetrius Monday recorded two interceptions and scored a touchdown on a fumble recovery, which he forced himself.

“The guys are very disappointed because they got there and were so close to pulling off a big win for the program,” coach Paul Haynes said.

Ohio travels to Minneapolis to take on Minnesota next Saturday in an opportunity to avenge Kent State’s loss.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="eb61ded8-5af5-11e5-9cf7-1f0ec5bef69f"}}

Rocket power 

Toledo picked up this week’s win with a 30-23 double-overtime victory over Iowa State.

The Rockets are now 2-0 with both wins against Power Five schools. Iowa State plays in the Big 12, and Toledo's first opponent, Arkansas, plays in the Southeastern Conference. 

“At the end of this, it’s early," said Toledo coach Matt Campbell. "We’ve got a lot of work to do. We’ve got a lot of improvement." 

@HahnJeremyR