Raeven Bastock, a junior studying pre-med, writes on Willow Adams, a freshman studying forensic chemistry, on College Green on September 16, 2015. Adams let students write on her in the hopes of raising awareness for body positivity. (FILE)

Nearly naked student stood in Ohio University's College Green to promote message of body positivity

Freshman Willow Adams stood blindfolded in College Green Wednesday in only her undergarments and allowed passersby to write anything on her body in an attempt to promote body positivity. 

Willow Adams spent an hour and a half Wednesday afternoon on College Green wearing nothing but her undergarments and a blindfold while holding a rainbow array of markers.

Adams encouraged passersby to take a marker and write anything directly on her body, with the goal of promoting body positivity.  

“I did have and I still have body consciousness,” Adams, a freshman studying forensic chemistry, said. “I just wanted to be here so that people know that it’s OK to be whatever size they are, whatever shape and whatever color — anything that you could have to be fighting — to not let the idea of beauty stop you.”

Adams was joined by her friend Tatiana Leis, a freshman studying forensic chemistry. Leis passed out papers describing Adams' story and her reason for being there.

“She asked me friend-to-friend," Leis said. "I thought it would be great, not only for her to help with her body conscious issues, but with everybody. I just wanted to be a part of that and see what it was like. I even left my own words of encouragement on her as well, but I think it's important for everybody. Not just girls, but men and any race. I think it’s important to be kind to yourself and to be kind to others.”

Adams is not alone in her display.

To help combat eating disorders and self-esteem problems, Jae West did a similar demonstration in London on Aug. 14. West then inspired Amy Pence-Brown to do the same Aug. 29 in Boise, Idaho at Capital City Public Market, which she said in her blog is “one of the most pedestrian-rich locations in the city.”

In both events, the women said in their blog posts that they received huge amounts of public support, and they were covered in positive messages by the end of their time.

“I think it’s wonderful seeing all the body positivity, especially since my sister is on the heavier side and I know it's hard for her,” Victoria Schettler, a freshman studying forensic chemistry who wrote on Adams as she passed by, said. “I think it’s great that people are branching out and spreading the awareness.”

Adams’ bareness is what piqued Maeve Kroeger’s interest.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a585b10c-5cab-11e5-bc4f-bb80ed42f840"}}

“It’s not what you normally see, and I love it,” the sophomore studying visual communication said. “It’s beautiful. I think more people should participate and appreciate women.”

Ultimately, Adams hoped for the best, as her blindfold obstructed her from seeing what others had written.

“I hope there's a lot of hearts and a lot of words of kindness,” she said. “I’m sure there’ll be a couple words here or there that won’t be so kind, but I hope that there's a lot of kindness here and that even with my blindfold on people know that everything is OK.”

Adams said after she took the blindfold off, she was able to see the positive messages.

But those messages won't be there forever.

"I had to shower it off because I have work later and it was sad to see all those positive messages going down the drain," she said. "But there's lots of pictures and it was great knowing that there are so many people who care."

@Schuyler_Morris

sm592914@ohio.edu