Police Blotter

Police Blotter: Intoxicated man hugging pizza box arrested for disorderly conduct after approaching officer

The individual approached an Ohio University Police Department officer and started crawling on the ground before he was arrested.

An intoxicated man hugging an empty pizza box approached a police officer Sunday and was arrested for disorderly conduct.

An Ohio University Police Department officer was interviewing two individuals about an unrelated incident early Sunday morning when a male approached the officer and began confronting the individuals.

The subject was holding an empty, torn pizza box, was acting very lethargic, had difficulty walking on his own and had a strong odor of an intoxicating beverage, according to the OUPD report.

When the officer asked the man what he was doing, he could not make a clear statement and did not know where he was. At one point the suspect lost his balance, fell to the ground and then began crawling.

The subject was subsequently arrested for disorderly conduct by intoxication and is scheduled to appear in Athens County Municipal Court on Oct. 1.

This past week, the OUPD reported 11 drug-related incidents and 10 alcohol-related disturbances.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d14546de-607c-11e5-ae6f-137b3e65019d"}}

Saturday at about 2 a.m., OUPD officers encountered an individual driving under the influence.

The officers observed a car driving west on South Green Drive coming from Mill Street. As the vehicle approached the officers' position, it ran a stop sign at the intersection of South Green Drive and Rufus Street.

The police pulled out directly behind the vehicle and followed it down the street. The car swerved half the car's length off the road three times, prompting the officers to decide to pull over the driver.

However, the car kept going with what seemed to be no intent to stop, according to the report. The vehicle did eventually stop on South Green Drive in front of True House.

When officers made contact with driver, they noticed he had glassy, bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and the odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath.

OUPD officers conducted Standardized Field Sobriety Tests and determined the driver was under the influence.

The suspect eventually was placed under arrest for operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. The case is currently pending in the Athens County Municipal Court.

@mcuds

mc835713@ohio.edu