Police Blotter

Police Blotter: Student tries to run from Ohio University Police Department when found drunk

OUPD reported 23 marijuana related incidents this past week. A sexual assault was also reported on South Green this weekend. 

When confronted by the Ohio University Police Department, suspects may be able to run, but often, they don't get too far.

A male student was found lying face down, motionless on the sidewalk at the corner of College Street and Union Street, according to OUPD reports.

When officers began approaching the student, he began moving and when asked if he was OK, the male tried to get up and run away.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="13475ca4-4ab9-11e5-8d15-f3149e8b80e4"}}

Due to the suspect's inability to retain his balance, he was unable to run without supporting himself on the retaining wall on the outside of the Schoonover Center, as stated in the report.

The man was apprehended moments later. He was arrested for underage consumption of alcohol and transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail to sober up.

OUPD fielded 23 marijuana-related incidents this past week. OUPD also received reports of six alcohol-related incidents as well as two reports of theft.

One student can thank the fire alarm for her marijuana citation.

On Sept. 2 at about 6 p.m., a fire alarm was set off in Gamertsfelder Hall. While inside the building investigating the alarm, officers came across a female student in possession of marijuana.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f79868c2-501c-11e5-a4a1-27f68cb5ec91"}}

She was cited for the possession of the marijuana and given a court date at Athens County Municipal Court. 

On Saturday, OUPD received a report of a stolen bike.

The female student reported that her bicycle was taken from Voigt Hall sometime between 7 p.m. on Sept. 3 and 11:45 a.m. on Sept. 6. 

The case is pending any further investigative leads.

The Athens County Sheriff's Office K9 unit teamed up with the Ohio State Highway Patrol this past week to investigate a vehicle that had been pulled over on US-33E on Wednesday.

At approximately 9 p.m., highway patrol called the sheriff's office about a suspicious vehicle on the side of the road. The sheriff's office K9, Ijo, arrived on scene and officials were briefed on the situation.

K9 Ijo was deployed for a free air sniff of the exterior of the vehicle, according to the sheriff office's report.

Once the occupants were removed from the vehicle, officers observed that the female subject was trying to conceal a syringe in her shirt.

A search of the vehicle was conducted and a bottom of a soda can was found cut up with burn marks and heroin residue in it. Officers also found other syringes and heroin-related drug paraphernalia.

Highway patrol dealt with all related charges.

@mcuds

mc835713@ohio.edu