Andrew Alexander, Scripps Howard visiting professional, and Jean Marie Cackowski-Campbell, executive coordinator of the Scripps Innovation Challenge, address the crowd at the Scripps Innovation Kickoff event.

Scripps Innovation Challenge kicks off with informational session

Ohio University Scripps Innovation Challenge offers real prize money for real-world solutions.

Students have the chance to win more than $10,000 solving real-world problems while in college.

The Scripps Innovation Challenge, offering prize money for student solutions to set scenarios, began with its kickoff event in Baker Center Ballroom on Monday.

Spearheaded by Director Andy Alexander and Executive Coordinator Jean Marie Cackowski-Campbell, the event also offered information and answers to frequently asked questions for all those wanting to take part in the challenge.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="aa8ec594-60b6-11e5-b957-a7ef07291d93"}}

“The Scripps Innovation Challenge is a challenge where questions are posed by communications and media professionals in the industry,” Cackowski-Campbell said.

After ideas are presented, the top seven entries become finalists, and have a chance to win prize money, Cackowski-Campbell said.

According to the Scripps Innovation Challenge flier handed out at the event, the first prize for the challenge is $10,000. Second prize comes with $5,000, and several honorable mentions can win $1,000. There is an additional $5,000 for a diversity component for projects addressing “underserved and underrepresented audiences,” according to its website.  

In addition, the first prize winner will be entered in the Scripps Innovation Cup, where the finalist can win an additional $5,000.

Last year, the winning team was "Team Du Monde," which was comprised of Sana Mahmud, Papa Ndiaye and Toluwani Adekunle, graduate students studying international development studies. The team’s project was called “Safety on the Streets” and included an app and wristband device to combat sexual assault, according to a previous Post report.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4858db48-d1ab-11e4-bec4-2f7780578cec"}}

As well as a chance to win money, participants will also have the chance to learn valuable lessons while solving real world problems, in addition to boosting their resumes.

“The inspiration for the challenge has two answers,” Alexander said. “One is that when Scripps Howard Foundation gave an endowment for innovation, they vaguely envisioned a competition. When I came here four years ago, it was left to me to come up with the concept. One of the things I was trying to do was find a way to more closely link the university and the Scripps College to industry and industry problems.

The Scripps Innovation Challenge entails five separate challenges, which include: exploiting popular podcasts, tracking money in state and local election campaigns, engaging first-time voters, creating a news outlet to serve a “media desert” and creating an incentive for an audience to help tell stories, according to the Scripps Innovation Challenge website.

Students from all majors can participate in the challenge, both in the undergraduate and graduate level, Alexander said.

“Young people are incredible innovative and know what resonates with other young people,” Alexander said.  

In addition, participants can work on the project alone or in teams.

“Most students participate in teams, because working alone is a lot of work,” Alexander said. “But I caution you with the number of people on your team, because too many can be cumbersome.”

The event included performances by Section Eight and Black Sheep Improv, as well as door prizes, raffles and free food. In addition, the first students to the event received a free Scripps Innovation Challenge T-shirt.

According to the challenge website, registration closes Nov. 20, and entries are due Jan. 25, 2016. In addition, finalists will pitch their ideas to a panel of judges March 14.

@paigey5000

pc518214@ohio.edu