Second City returns to bring laughter to Ohio University's Parents Weekend

"The Best of Second City" show is set to include sketches, songs and improv. 

The Second City is returning to bring laughter and entertainment to Ohio University's Parents Weekend. 

The touring improv troupe, which once included comedians such as Tina Fey, Stephen Colbert and Steve Carell, performs sketches, songs and improvisations.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="051c289e-4f37-11e5-a1ec-0baf7c169f4c"}}

The performance, which is dubbed "The Best of Second City," is Saturday at 8 p.m. at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium and is a part of the Performing Arts and Concert Series. General admission tickets are on sale for $20, and the doors will open at 7 p.m.

“It’s kind of a replay of the last three years, but they’ll bring a different show, 'The Best of Second City,' this year,” Andrew Holzaepfel, senior associate director of the Campus Involvement Center, said. 

Holzaepfel said there will be several comedians performing together along with an accompanist on the piano.

The show will include previous sketches from throughout the years, which will be more scripted, and new unscripted material, Holzaepfel said.

Sarah Allis, a sophomore studying communication studies, said the show last year was a lot of fun, and she plans on returning again this year. The performance gets the audience involved.

“They always took volunteers,” she said. “There was even one point where they had people write things down on a piece of paper and they made a story out of it.”

The troupe got the rest of the audience members involved, Allis said, by allowing them to decide which story was best based on applause.

Allis said the show was fitting for all ages because there was humor appealing to an older audience that was also appropriate for the younger kids.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="324a7d9c-49cf-11e5-8927-1bc8465114e8"}}

Ethan Ennis, a sophomore studying graphic design, attended the show last year with his parents and some friends. 

"It was really interactive," Ennis said. "They were talking to the audience and asking us questions about what to do with the sketch ... which was a lot of fun."

Although Ennis is not able to go back this year, he said everyone was pleased with the performance last year and MemAud was packed. 

Holzaepfel said he expects the show, which has always been a crowd-pleaser, to be a full house like previous years.

“It’s a fun performance and one both students and their parents find appealing,” Holzaepfel said.

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu