Davoran

Senior Citizen: Ohio University’s Parents Weekend a great tradition for parents and students

Columnist Erin Davoran discusses why she thinks parents deserve a weekend dedicated to them.

Remember my column a few weeks ago when I talked about lasts? This weekend marks the first of the lasts: my last Parents Weekend.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="36f2d0be-462e-11e5-a4ee-3b8b10315f5f"}}

I have many fond memories of past Parents Weekends, like leaving the Second City show my sophomore year to meet up with my friends, only to have my parents tell me which bar we were meeting their friends at, and my mom trolling in a pong game last year, therefore spending the whole next game cracking up laughing under the table.

I love Parents Weekend because, first of all, I love my parents, and secondly, I love sharing Athens with them. I would not be at Ohio University without my mom and dad, so getting to celebrate with them in this place is one of my favorite OU traditions.

If I could brag for a second, I’m one of the lucky ones. I have great relationships with my parents that have only gotten stronger since I came to college. I really like getting to know them as people, not just as parents. They have helped me in every way a person can be helped, and are always there if and when I need them.

That’s why special events like these should really be a strong OU marketing point, not just to prospective students, but to their parents as well. How many other schools have college-wide Parents, Moms and Dads Weekends?

With the sacrifices parents make and the support they give, hell yes they deserve designated times of fun activities (such as ziplining, which we’re doing Sunday — wish us luck) and debauchery to enjoy.

And for the times when parents aren’t or can’t be there, the surrogates step in. My parents couldn’t come my freshman year so the mom of one of my new friends in the dorm let me be her “stepdaughter” for the weekend.

That’s the Bobcat Family at work. That’s why I don’t just love Parents Weekend because I get to spend time with my parents (and have them bring up everything I forgot at home, like socks and cans of Skyline Chili), but with all OU parents. No matter if you’re a mom, dad, stepmom, stepdad, grandparent, aunt, uncle, roommate’s parent, older sibling, non-familial parental figure, etc., this weekend is yours, mine and ours to enjoy.

Cheers to you parents. Thanks for everything.

Erin Davoran is a senior studying journalism. Are you excited for Parents Weekend? Tweet her @erindavoran or email her at ed414911@ohio.edu.