The Ohio University Bobcats celebrate a goal early in their 3-0 win over Robert Morris University on Sept. 11, 2015. 

Soccer: Ohio turns season around after detour at Kentucky farm

Keeping a generally jovial attitude has led to a change in results for the Bobcats.

Seeing the jovial nature of the Bobcats has become a common occurrence over the past couple weeks.

Ohio has won its past two games – the first a straightforward 3-0 win over Robert Morris and the second a grind-it-out 2-1 win over a strong Xavier team – and look to be in solid positioning going into Mid-American Conference play. 

The attitude surrounding the team was much different two weeks ago, however. Ohio lost its fifth game of the season, 3-0 Kentucky, Sept. 6 and had scored two goals in five games while conceding 13. Starting goalkeeper sophomore Vanessa Cordoba went down with an injury and the season started to look bleak. 

After the game, coach Aaron Rodgers decided to take his team on a detour to try and keep spirits up around the team. Rodgers settled on taking the team to Runnymede Farm in Kentucky after being recommended by a friend and, judging by the litany of Twitter pictures, they enjoyed their time.

"It was really awesome," Rodgers said of the trip. "We got to go to the farm and got to see all the little horses as they were about to be sold to become thoroughbred racehorses. ... It was an awesome experience."

The players seemed to enjoy their time too. Senior Leah Sandercock said the team got a tour of the farm, dinner and that the day proved to be a fun, "team-bonding" activity.

After taking a bit of time for themselves, Ohio went out and won its next game in convincing fashion, dominating Robert Morris. The game against the Colonials seemed to awaken something within the Bobcats.

"I think before the win we felt like a lot of pressure," Sandercock said. "Afterwards, I mean it definitely felt good to win. I wasn't playing but the girls who were out there worked their asses off to get that."

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d54aa474-5e63-11e5-953a-abfb235ca1d8"}}

The offense clicked for only the second time all season — the first being the two goals Ohio scored in the second half of a 3-2 loss to Marshall — and the game worked as a "coming-out" party for the defense.

Senior Grace Campbell and sophomore Celeste Fushimi-Karns have formed a formidable partnership in central defense while freshman Rianna Reese has been a cog in the back line at left back. Sophomore Kelley Zebrowski is coming into her own at right back after converting from the forward position, as her pace, and relationship with Fushimi-Karns, has been hugely beneficial to the team.

That positive result carried over to Ohio's most recent game against Xavier, during which the Bobcats appeared organized and well-stocked in attack to grab an away win against the Musketeers.

Rodgers hinted at the positive attitude hitting the Bobcats at just the right time. 

"Any win's a good win," Rodgers said. "To grind out a victory was very good. ... Our girls just wanted it." 

During the early parts of the season, practices seemed to be a slog. It may not have shown on every players' face but there was a somber mood surrounding Chessa Field and Peden, where the team occasionally practices.

Now practices are filled with smiles, laughter and playful joking. Rodgers has taken to joining in conditioning and stumbling across the finish line before collapsing in a heap to the wicked laughter of everyone in the surrounding area.

The start of the season may have been dour, but the mood surrounding Ohio is reminiscent of Rodgers' runs across the finish line. 

Goofy, seemingly staged, but also hopeful enough to inspire anyone that they can turn things around.

@KellenBecoats

kb749012@ohio.edu