Ohio University team members celebrate after their second goal of the game against Robert Morris University. Ohio finished the game with a clean sheet, beating Robert Morris 3-0. 

Soccer: Ohio wins its first game of 2015 season

Ohio won its first game Friday night against Robert Morris. 

The offense finally clicked for Ohio. The ability to attack quickly and effectively were crucial in sealing Friday's 3-0 win against Robert Morris.

The Bobcats (1-5) finally claimed their first win of the season.

"We've got to be the aggressor," coach Aaron Rodgers said. "That was exactly what we talked about all week and in pregame."

Just four minutes into the match, junior forward Alexis Milesky opened the scoring for Ohio when she headed in a free kick from sophomore center-back Celeste Fushimi-Karns. The goal was Milesky's second of the season as she leads all scores for Ohio.

Nine minutes later, sophomore midfielder Megan Niebuhr volleyed a cross from winger Hannah Jaggers that bounced around in the box before Niebuhr buried it. 

Through just 13 minutes, Ohio had a 2-0 lead.

The aggressive play was something missing throughout Ohio's season so far, as it has spent most of the season trailing to teams.

Redshirt junior Holly Harris added a third goal for Ohio in the 84th minute, tacking on her first since recovering from an injury which kept her out in 2014.

The Bobcats not only got their first win of the season, but also thier first shutout, at the hands of freshman keeper Taylor Smith.

Smith started in place of Cordoba -- who was recovering from an injury suffered in Sunday's match against Kentucky. Rodgers decided to give Smith the start versus other freshman keeper Erin Beurket, who has been splitting time with Cordoba.

"What we pride ourselves on is people earn playing time in practice," Rodgers said. "She had a couple of great weeks of training and she deserved the start."

With no goals given up, the backline also started to grow confidence. Freshman Rianna Reese had a valiant effort against Robert Morris, making several slide tackles and controlling the left flank.

At the attacking position, freshman Stephanie Rowland got the start in place of an injured redshirt junior Carly Manso, who was walking with a boot during the game.

Rodgers said the injury was minor and that she should return to training in the next couple of weeks.

Despite some injuries and players stepping up Friday, the Bobcats finally did what Rodgers hoped all season.

"I (scheduled) it on purpose," Rodgers said. "So we only have one game two weeks prior to MAC season."

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu